Joint deputyship not working

familycarer2019

May 31, 2019
only one of us is doing all the work, the other refuses causes so much stress. Would a joint and several leave me to get on without him and spiteful emails or would it give him more power to dictate without doing anything?

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
My brother and I have joint and several POA for my mother. At the moment she is in a home and we are selling her flat using POA. My brother is seriously ill and really can't do a lot at the moment. After discussing it with the solicitor, I'm doing the heavy work on getting the flat sold, but she would like my brother to contact her when he is able to confirm that he is OK with what I'm doing. So yes it might make things easier. Not sure how easy it is to change things though, I'm sure someone will be along soon to advise.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
only one of us is doing all the work, the other refuses causes so much stress. Would a joint and several leave me to get on without him and spiteful emails or would it give him more power to dictate without doing anything?
Exactly how is it set up now?
Joint and severally, could mean he can do things without referring to you. As could you...without him...
Jointly, you both have to agree, before you can go ahead.
Would he care to give up the POA, letting you do all the work, without him?
Not everybody is comfortable with the responsibility.

Bod

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
You talked about deputyship. Did you have to go through the COP to get it? If so, I would speak to the Office of Public Guardians.

care2share

Jun 14, 2015
London

Do try to work it out between you if possible. I would not be to too eager to let it be known that the deputyship is not working since it is possible you would both be removed and a panel deputy appointed.

silversea2020

May 12, 2019
Do try to work it out between you if possible. I would not be to too eager to let it be known that the deputyship is not working since it is possible you would both be removed and a panel deputy appointed.

Wise words here Care2share .....our situation because of contention between 3 siblings has meant an independent panel Deputy has been agreed but 2 months on after the court hearing and still we await S to who exactly the Deputy will be.....plus there’s all the costs involved - it’s a nightmare I wouldn’t wish on anyone

care2share

Jun 14, 2015
London
Wise words here Care2share .....our situation because of contention between 3 siblings has meant an independent panel Deputy has been agreed but 2 months on after the court hearing and still we await S to who exactly the Deputy will be.....plus there’s all the costs involved - it’s a nightmare I wouldn’t wish on anyone

Yes, it's daylight robbery. My thoughts are with you silversea2020.