Joint current accounts

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Update

Dad has spoken to the advisor at the bank and explained everything that was concerning us. Initially this was with the intention of arranging a meeting to sort everything out, if necessary.

She has told him categorically that there is absolutely no need for him to worry, that they know all about mam and dad's situation, that he must not worry about what has been published on the internet, that the bank is aware that there is nothing fraudulent going on, and that he can keep their joint account as it is, and operate it as he has been doing.

So this is a big weight off our minds. I have, however, suggested to dad that he ask her to confirm it in writing. (Whether he will do this is another matter!)

I must confess that I hesitated to post this update because I have a feeling that I may get some disbelieving responses - which I do understand because it does seem to be going against the published information - but dad has been with this bank forever, and trusts the people he deals with, and will listen to their advice when they tell him not to worry.

There is still a (very) small niggle of doubt in my mind, I must confess, but after this categoric assurance from the bank I feel that I must let the matter drop now and not push it any further, as this will only stress my dad. If the worst does come to the worst, we will have to deal with it at the time.

Many thanks to everyone who contributed, though, as it's all been very helpful.

Last edited:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Don't have any fear that we won't believe you CG: half the problems with banks is what they say and what they do may not match at all. Sometimes that works for carers and sometimes against.

I would try to get it in writing though.

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
Glad to see the bank are being helpful.

In terms of joint accounts and Local authority financial assessment for care home fees, half the money in my parents' joint accounts was assessed as being mum's, even though it was mainly dad's pension going into it.

Instead of having 3rd party access, the bank advised me to open joint accounts with my parents. I was advised against it by a solicitor at a carer's group (I guess because I could become liable?) but it has made things so much easier. Especially because nothing got frozen at any time.

Fed Up

Aug 4, 2012
Yes Soobee that is exactly what we were advised to do by the BS and, I did it years ago. All runs smoothly never had a problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArthurPOA