Joint accounts and care home top ups

Morninglark

Jun 23, 2011
Holywood, Co Down
My husband has Alzheimers since Nov 2011 diagnosis, now deteriorating and getting one day a week at a day centre, regular carer comes in for 3 hours to give me time out, plus occasional other hours as needed. I can see he may have to go into care full time eventually. My social worker says once his money is gone I would have to pay for top ups after that. My solicitor and financial advisor both say this won't happen. We just got married in 2010, second marriages for us both, and the money I have was there before we got married, mostly from life assurance from my first husband. The social worker is sending me info re the financial aspects. She says they will take into account our joint account as well as his own account. I was about to close the joint account (where both our pensions go in and utility bills are paid from), but the bank says I just need to remove him from the joint account using a form which he can sign. I do have POA so can continue to look after all accounts. Any comments?