Joint account use during time Father in care home but paid by NHS

Swh

Mar 10, 2020
Hi, my father has vascular dementia and after a period in hospital went to a nursing home paid by NHS as he had priority heath need. My mum kept using the joint account into which his pension and work pension were paid as she had while he was at home to cover the bills and expenses and to live. When his NHS funding was reviewed and he no longer met the criteria the LA started a financial assessment and have said that as the joint account only had his income going into it his savings should now be 40k over the two years the NHS were funding him taking into account 50% of his income should not have been used by my mum. I can't see how this can be correct, NHS funding is not dependantt on means and he is still married to my mum and as she has not worked and been a housewife and a mother his income has been used by her for 55 years to take care of the household bills. I can see the LA from the point they are asked to pay dividing his income but not before. The LA seem to think he should not on this basis remain legally obliged to maintain her and pay at least 50%of the costs of the maintence etc of the joint home. Has anyone else come across this approach?

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello and welcome @Swh.

I don't know the answer to your question and if you don't get replies it may be a good idea to talk it through with the experts on the help line as they can be good, details as follows

National Dementia Helpline
0300 222 11 22
Our helpline advisers are here for you.
Helpline opening hours:
Monday to Wednesday
9am – 8pm
Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm

Live on-line advice is also available in the UK and you can see the details of that if you follow this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/national-dementia-helpline/live-online-advice

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
A warm welcome from me too, @Swh.
Like Pete I am not sure exactly what the position is, and was going to suggest calling the helpline. These links and factsheets might also give you some guidance.
Good luck and keep reading and posting, there's many here with more insights and experience.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hello @Swh
a warm welcome to DTP
I think LAs are becoming tougher with how they look at a financial assessment

as I understand it, your father can decide to hand over 50% of any private pension to your mum, and indeed, as he retains an interest in their home, can pay 50% of maintenance costs ... this is the case were he to be below the £23250 threshold for the LA to begin to contribute to paying fees

there's also a case to say that the account is joint and set up that way by your father fully intending to share with his wife, and funds in a jlint account are available to both account holders equally

if the LA are being so 'careful' it may be wise to split any joint savings and check whether your mother is eligible for any benefits on her own account

I hope LPAs are in place so your mother can continue to manage her husband's finances

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abba