John Suchet My Bonnie

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I'm half-way through the book now, and am finding it hard to put down.

I can't believe how closely John & Bonnie's journey mirrors what I've read of Bruce and Jan's.

It's a very interesting and worth-while read.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
I can't believe how closely John & Bonnie's journey mirrors what I've read of Bruce and Jan's.

Astute, as always, Hazel, and spot-on.

The way he explains their story on TV, the things they experienced, the closeness of their relationship, all have seemed to me to be very painfully and spookily similar.

I haven't read the book [yet] as I fear the very great similarity will cause me problems - though I'm sure I will read it sometime soon.

PollyP.

Oct 8, 2009
Herefordshire UK
I bought John Suchet's book a couple of weeks ago, and quickly read it, but now I'm going through it again.

It is very well written and so interesting, but very sad for him, as he said he has lost the love of his life.

I'm so pleased that he wrote this book though as it will help to give the attention that is needed for this awful disease.

Definately worth reading.
Pauline

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
I have this on audio and am half way through..it is read by John Suchet..yet I don't like him at all,( I did before hearing this) and I want to, yet something about him doesn't sit well for me...I shall wait till I have listened to it all then give a final reveiw!

Pigeon11

Jul 19, 2012
I didn't like the book and have posted about it in a different thread. I wanted to like it, it's well written and I do sympathise with his situation. But I thought he came across as rather self-obsessed and his adoration of his wife seemed over the top and insincere for some reason.

I couldn't help thinking that many people who are affected by dementia have to cope with much worse. He could afford to have someone in full-time to help with Bonnie and the private nursing home she went in was luxurious by the sounds of it.

I know that money and privilege isn't enough to make up for the terrible effect dementia has on people's lives, but I couldn't help comparing his story with some that I have read on here and with some of the people in my dad's NH. Some of them don't have anyone to care for them and have led very difficult lives. Just my thoughts - perhaps I am getting bitter an cynical these days? :eek:

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
finished last night...It was sad and well told...I found him leaving his children so easily for Bonnie selfish , but accepting no contact with them for several years was the most disconcerting to me...To him Bonnies attraction was her always agreeing with him and being incredibly passive..she let him order for her in resteraunts and he liked this...I find him somewhat odd.....of course he suffered and did his best but yes, cushioned by money..it does help! Her care home must have been "top dollar" .. all those long home visits and hours spent discussing Bonnie by the care home manager before moving in, what a luxury and at what price I ask again. I am glad she was happy there, I struggle to believe she always greeted him with a big smile and had no issues/upset with the home at all??? other than her normal bedtime strop at getting undressed.....

Last edited:

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
I didn't like the book and have posted about it in a different thread. I wanted to like it, it's well written and I do sympathise with his situation. But I thought he came across as rather self-obsessed and his adoration of his wife seemed over the top and insincere for some reason.

I couldn't help thinking that many people who are affected by dementia have to cope with much worse. He could afford to have someone in full-time to help with Bonnie
I also wanted to like the book, but I found myself thinking exactly what you have said.

There was lttle in the book about Bonnie as she was before dementia. The reader never really got the feel of her as a person. Or so I thought.

Loo

Mudgee Joy

Dec 26, 2017
New South Wales Australia
Thank you Sandy, and as for a cure one day ?? I`m sure of it !!!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Norrms- I was wondering how you were going . Thinking of you and wishing you well my friend.
The other day on our national news in Australia was an item someone has devised a new test to tell is dementia will happen to a person. Something to do with protein in the blood. Usually these sort of tests are the beginning of a better understanding and lead towards a cure.
Best wishes M-joy