Job centre - Helping to prepare for work letter

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
I have just received a letter giving me the details for an appointment with a work coach,titled "Helping you prepare for work-Come and meet your work coach"
I'm a full time carer looking after my mother and who is confined to a bed and relies on my for feeding and drinking cooking and everything,they are expecting me to spend an hour in a meeting,I'm annoyed,do I have to go to this?
Previously they rang me once in a blue moon to catch up with me
As soon as I'm no longer in the position as a carer I will be looking for work straight away,I can't see how it will help having to speak to somebody in person,when they can call me,they can even do a home visit if they wish

Last edited:

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Are you registered with the Job Centre and/or in receipt of any benefits which are unemployment related? These sorts of appointments are routine for those who are deemed to be unemployed and looking for work. If that doesn't apply to you just give them a call and explain your circumstances.

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
Are you registered with the Job Centre and/or in receipt of any benefits which are unemployment related? These sorts of appointments are routine for those who are deemed to be unemployed and looking for work. If that doesn't apply to you just give them a call and explain your circumstances.

Hi I receive carers allowance and income support,if I have to go I suppose I will have to as I don't want to lose my carers allowance,when your a carer which is already a full time hard job,it just seems an insult having to go and see them to talk about looking for work,I will be more than capable of looking for work when I'm no longer a carer,I haven't got 2 heads.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
I see that you've edited your initial message - just contact them and let them know your situation and that your Mum can't be left on her own. I'm sure that once they know about your circumstances they won't expect you to attend the meeting in person - they can arrange this to be held over the phone if necessary - but you have to let them know what your circumstances are first.

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
I see that you've edited your initial message - just contact them and let them know your situation and that your Mum can't be left on her own. I'm sure that once they know about your circumstances they won't expect you to attend the meeting in person - they can arrange this to be held over the phone if necessary - but you have to let them know what your circumstances are first.

Hi yes I was just adding more detail to better explain my situation,yes I'm waiting for a call,I hope that common sense prevails as they can get the same information over the phone without making life more awkward,funnily enough it was something that had been on my mind as life seemed to be running smoothly in that respect and after reading things in the paper about people having difficulties with benefits I thought to myself I hope my benefits suddenly don't get stopped for no reason without warning,and so last year I rang them just to make sure they had my correct phone number and e mail address so they could get hold of me if they desired.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
The problem with reading things in the paper is that they are invariably written without providing the full facts, things are 'sensationalised' to attract readers and/or some of the things written are just not true. It makes a good story but they don't consider the potential impact/worry caused to those who read it. I used to work for the DWP and your benefits won't just suddenly get stopped - for no reason and without warning - in the circumstances you have described. Maybe if you failed to turn up for appointments but not if you contact them to explain the situation, although it's a good idea to always take the name/direct line number of the person you speak to in case you need to contact them again.

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
I was told that they would call me back on Thursday or Friday and they didn't ring,so I will have to wait and see what they a have to say my circumstances haven't changed,and I don't see why my mum should have to pay for carers to sit at home with her at a cost of about £55 while I'm at a meeting that could be done over the phone