Jigsaws for mild Alzheimer’s?

candlelight

Sep 3, 2017
Mum recently diagnosed and looking for ways to keep her brain active! She’s never done crosswords, word searches etc but think I can persuade her to tackle a jigsaw. I don’t want to insult her and get one with only a few pieces but not sure what size I should go for? Any suggestions please?

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Mum recently diagnosed and looking for ways to keep her brain active! She’s never done crosswords, word searches etc but think I can persuade her to tackle a jigsaw. I don’t want to insult her and get one with only a few pieces but not sure what size I should go for? Any suggestions please?
I used jigsaws by Active Minds and also Gibson’s when mum was in the early stages. 100 pieces was well enough even then, and by mid stage we had about 24 pieces, with me helping a lot!! Both companies have some lovely jigsaws with lots of variety and some suitable for reminiscing too, which is handy.
You can get them from toy shops or from Amazon- just type in jigsaws for adults with dementia.
All the best
Lindy xx

Rosebush

Apr 2, 2018
I don't know what stage my husband is at, I have tried to get him involved helping me with a jigsaw but he hasn't a clue:eek: good luck.

candlelight

Sep 3, 2017
I used jigsaws by Active Minds and also Gibson’s when mum was in the early stages. 100 pieces was well enough even then, and by mid stage we had about 24 pieces, with me helping a lot!! Both companies have some lovely jigsaws with lots of variety and some suitable for reminiscing too, which is handy.
You can get them from toy shops or from Amazon- just type in jigsaws for adults with dementia.
All the best
Lindy xx
That’s great - thanks Lindy. I’ll have a look.

rhubarbtree

Jan 7, 2015
North West
Dementia jigsaws are the only aid I have found useful for my OH. I chose pictures which would interest him. A bluebell wood, a famous art work and a woman gardening. As candlelight says they are good for starting conversations. Also I tell him they are to keep his fingers supple. although relatively expensive they are chunky and hardwearing and do not look used after two/three years. Hope you can find one which will appeal to your mother. I worried at first that he would find them infantile but it was never mentioned. Ours go from 12 to 20 pieces.