1. Q&A: Medication - Thurs 22nd November, 3-4pm

Do you have questions about medication and drug treatments for dementia? There's no drug to cure dementia yet, but it's often possible to relieve some symptoms.

Our next expert Q&A will be hosted by Simon from our Knowledge Services team. He will be answering your questions on Thursday 22nd November from 3-4pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

Jigsaws for mild Alzheimer’s?

Discussion in 'Books, film and music' started by candlelight, Nov 9, 2018.

1. candlelight

candlelight Registered User

Sep 3, 2017
    Mum recently diagnosed and looking for ways to keep her brain active! She’s never done crosswords, word searches etc but think I can persuade her to tackle a jigsaw. I don’t want to insult her and get one with only a few pieces but not sure what size I should go for? Any suggestions please?

2. Lindy50

Lindy50 Registered User

Dec 11, 2013
    Cotswolds
    I used jigsaws by Active Minds and also Gibson’s when mum was in the early stages. 100 pieces was well enough even then, and by mid stage we had about 24 pieces, with me helping a lot!! Both companies have some lovely jigsaws with lots of variety and some suitable for reminiscing too, which is handy.
    You can get them from toy shops or from Amazon- just type in jigsaws for adults with dementia.
    All the best
    Lindy xx

3. Rosebush

Rosebush Registered User

Apr 2, 2018
    I don't know what stage my husband is at, I have tried to get him involved helping me with a jigsaw but he hasn't a clue:eek: good luck.

4. candlelight

Sep 3, 2017
    That’s great - thanks Lindy. I’ll have a look.

5. candlelight

Sep 3, 2017
    That’s great Lindy thank you. I’ll have a look.

6. rhubarbtree

rhubarbtree Registered User

Jan 7, 2015
    North West
    Dementia jigsaws are the only aid I have found useful for my OH. I chose pictures which would interest him. A bluebell wood, a famous art work and a woman gardening. As candlelight says they are good for starting conversations. Also I tell him they are to keep his fingers supple. although relatively expensive they are chunky and hardwearing and do not look used after two/three years. Hope you can find one which will appeal to your mother. I worried at first that he would find them infantile but it was never mentioned. Ours go from 12 to 20 pieces.