Jekyll & Hyde behaviour.

tazzi22

Feb 17, 2007
Edinburgh
Jekyl And Hyde

Ashburton

My mum is going through the same as yours but has the personality changes during the day, usually with me or other family members. She has been fine with my dad (the main carer) except for one occasion. She does not know me anymore and doesn't seem to like me and shouts at me and tries to boss me about or make me leave. So far, these have lasted just over an hour at a time and she has changed back to someone less aggressive. I could see her becoming violent. When the time comes when my dad can no longer cope I don't think she will go into a nursing home as she is so aggressive at times so think she may be admitted to a psyciatric hospital? It is so heartbreaking to see the person i love so bored, unhappy and no interest in anything and she just follows my dad around like a lost sheep. She was diagnosed 4 years ago and has gone downhill so quickly, we really notice a difference this year. She had a brain haemorrage 9 years ago and her memory went downhill after that so i think she has had Alzheimers since then? The GP said the haemorrage has no connection!!

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
tazzi22 said:
She had a brain haemorrage 9 years ago and her memory went downhill after that so i think she has had Alzheimers since then? The GP said the haemorrage has no connection!!

My Dad had a sub-arachnoid (a type of brain) haemorrhage some 14 plus years ago and his memory (never great) went down-hill from there. We mentioned this to the Consultant (my Dad has been diagnosed with mixed dementia in December 2006) and he was of the view that this could be part of the problem, but couldn't be sure.

tazzi22

Feb 17, 2007
Edinburgh
sub-arachnoid

Sue

That is the same as my mum had 'sub-arachnoid haemorrage' and she never got back to how she was and very slowly her memory started to go.

Tazzi

Ashburton

Feb 19, 2007
May said:
Ashburton

If your Mum is like this EVERY night I would say you need to go back and try medication again.
Sorry, but having gone through the horrors of hallucinations (these were daytime ones) that were only controlled by going on to an anti-psychotic, a certain amount of 'zombiefied' to me seems preferable to having a Mum who is terrified and out of her head! I too used to fear for my Mum's health when she was in these attacks (and they were every day). Mum finally ended up on a combination of anti-phsycotic and sleeping tablets. Maybe you just need a sleeping tablet that would calm your Mum during the night.

Take care what ever you do.

PS. I used to try and remove myself from the 'field of fire' during Mum's attacks, as trying to calm her down seemed to make things worse.

Thanks May.

Yes I think I have to remove myself from the situation when it does arise as maybe being there makes it worse.