Jeckyl and Hyde

Redpoppy

Jul 31, 2012
Glamorgan s.wales
Not sure of correct spelling but that is how my husband a d has Behaved for the last few days. He is usually content and doesn't complain very often.but sudden one morning came into my bedroom ra ting and raving about the fact we were in separate bedrooms which we decided on 10yrs ago.due to his operations, sleep apnoea and snoring. For the next couple of days he was moody and argumentative. but today ha k to his own self. He really upset me, but said I shouldn't have taken notice of him and he couldn't recall any of the things he had said. I wish I could forget quickly, and although I know he can't help being this way it doesn't make it any easier to accept. After I stopped his bed and movedsome of his things into my bedroom he asked what did I think I was doing, and we had to make his bed back up again . I'm sure many of you have experienced this and worse, but it worries me and this was the first time I have seen him get so cross. I hope to dal with these experiences as sl as you do-I learn quite a lot from TP posts.

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Hi Redpoppy. You must find this change worrying and frightening. glad you're able to get advice and insight from TP. Must admit I would be quite lost without the things I've learned on this forum. I hope this isn't the start of a trend with your husband but if you are worried I hope your GP can be helpful.
Es
x

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Hi Es and Redpoppy, mine changes between being nice, have a chat to asking why am I here, I've been divorced and he's full of hatred to confusing me with his long-dead mother! Very confusing. If only he could be nice all the time, both our lives would be much better.

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Sorry, Red Poppy. Wish I could reassure you but I'm afraid it is quite common with AD patients although obviously not all. Eventually learned to live with these mood swings and make the most of 'good' days but it is heartbreaking. Wishing you well.

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Hi Es and Redpoppy, mine changes between being nice, have a chat to asking why am I here, I've been divorced and he's full of hatred to confusing me with his long-dead mother! Very confusing. If only he could be nice all the time, both our lives would be much better.

Hi Cornish girl!! I must admit I have been very lucky so far. My husband has a lot of problems with executive functions and can be very forgetful and a bit confused but I haven't had to deal with personality changes. I know this may well happen and I am grateful to be aware of the possibility so I can feel prepared. In the meantime I am very sorry that you and Redpoppy have to deal with such a distressing situation.
x

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
I am sorry Redpoppy, It would come as a shock to you. Unfortunately my husband’s personality changed dramatically for the worse and it is very hard to accept.

As you say Spamar, “full of hatred” and it’s difficult to try coming to terms with the fact that it is not him but the dementia. I don't think I ever did, just somehow learned to “live with it” - and very often I didn’t do that well.

That phase has now passed for my husband but took a long time to do so. His dementia is much further advanced now.

As truth24 said it is quite common, although not all dementia patients become like this. It could be a passing phase with your husband, Redpoppy, and I do hope it is.

Yes we learn so much on TP. I certainly did and I continue to do so.

Loo

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
I meant to add, Redpoppy, that, with hindsight, I can see that Fred was terrified by what was happening to him and that resulted in his fear and frustration spewing out. Still not easy to deal with but I wish I had been aware at the time that a lot of his 'bad' days were due to that.

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello Redpoppy this is such a horrible time when hubby's mood changes, l could not cope 2wks ago with my hubby, he was so nasty to me, Dr. Gave him anti depressants, he is so much calmer, only had a couple of bad days, he is on Sertraline, see if your Dr. Will give your hubby these it has helped my hubby, thinking of you

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
I know you probably have thought of this but could he have a UTI, whenever my husband has a urine infection he has a change of personality and sometimes has no other symptoms, its worth getting it checked,

Lilac Blossom

Oct 6, 2014
Scotland
Hello Redpoppy - I also experience this with hubby (vascular dementia) and I find it very difficult to cope with those "full of hatred" outbursts. Although I usually leave the room for a wee while, it still leaves me feeling hurt for the fact that my whole life is swallowed up in caring for him. Knowing that others have so much experience and knowledge helps a little - TP is a good place for us to come.

Neurologist said nothing would improve his dementia but if/when agitation/aggression became a problem, ask GP for prescription but when I did, GP said neurologist needs to do another check - so no idea how long it will be before this takes place. :confused:

Bree

Oct 16, 2013
Yes MOH was like this, it's very distressing for you especially if he swears at you, as mine did. Like Pamann's husband he was put on sertraline, he is much more his old self again, but he can still shout about nothing in the morning, before he takes his medication. See your GP and ask for something to maybe calm him down, after all the health of both of you are your doctor's concern. Good luck.

Redpoppy

Jul 31, 2012
Glamorgan s.wales
Thank you all for your understanding and advice. Fortunately the bad mood lasted for just 3/4 days and he has settled down now. His memory has deteriorated so much more so my problem now is just like most carers--answering the same question over and over again,and listening to the same old stories throughout the day.I'm learning to cope with this,but sometimes feel like saying " Yes you've told me that umpteen times" but manage to bite my tongue. Thank you again everyone.