jean

Jean by the sea

Feb 5, 2016
Hi everyone I'm new to this site, just wondered if anyone has a partner with front lobe dementia. As I was wondering if you have any tips on finding better ways my hubby can communicate, as he finds it very difficult to say anything

Perfectdaughter

Sep 25, 2014
London
Hi everyone I'm new to this site, just wondered if anyone has a partner with front lobe dementia. As I was wondering if you have any tips on finding better ways my hubby can communicate, as he finds it very difficult to say anything

Hello Jean. I don't have any experience of this but I hope someone will come along soon who does. I've found TP very helpful.
There is a front lobe dementia support group website which might have information that is useful for you. I am unable to post the link but if you google Frontotemperal dementia support group you should be able to find it.

Hellyg

Nov 18, 2014
Midlands
Hello,

My husband has frontal lobe dementia, semantic variant. Therefore communication is his issue.

I am also struggling to communicate with him, so sorry no advice, but I do understand how hard it is.

I am seeking advice from support groups, so will share as if I learn more

H

philippe

Feb 19, 2016
What are the symptoms?

Hi Jean and Hellyg -

There are two types of communication problems with FTD:
1) can't physically speak (progressive nonfluent aphasia)
2) can speak but makes no sense (semantic dementia or fluent aphasia)

Would you describe your respective cases?

My mom has semantic dementia - she talks a lot but makes sense rarely. She has a hard time comprehending what I'm saying to her and saying anything comprehensible to me. I communicate with her in as short a manner as I can. For example, I periodically repeat, "hungry?" or "bathroom?" or "cold?" Part of the time she responds on topic but mostly she doesn't.