Jargon and acronyms.......grrrrr!

Juba

Jul 27, 2019
Hi,
I'm relatively new to Taking Point having joined a few weeks ago. I'm living with my husband who is living with early onset dementia. I'm finding the forum really useful and a massive relief to know that other people are experiencing similar problems to the ones we're grappling with.

However, I get stumped by some of the acronyms - OH is the particular bug bear at the moment . What does it mean?
I'm also pretty sure (??) that I read that there was/is a list of jargon and acronyms people use but can't place it - can someone help me?
Thank you :)

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
Hi,
I'm relatively new to Taking Point having joined a few weeks ago. I'm living with my husband who is living with early onset dementia. I'm finding the forum really useful and a massive relief to know that other people are experiencing similar problems to the ones we're grappling with.

However, I get stumped by some of the acronyms - OH is the particular bug bear at the moment . What does it mean?
I'm also pretty sure (??) that I read that there was/is a list of jargon and acronyms people use but can't place it - can someone help me?
Thank you :)
OH is other half, I think.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
That link worked fine for me @Beate :)

OH = other half.
I use this alot because I try to be as anonymous as possible and this term doesnt stipulate whether I am married or not (it also doesnt stipulate gender, although my details show that I am female and I refer to OH as "he").

Everywhere has its own jargon @Juba , but Im sure that you will soon get used to the common ones. I think the link that Beate gave is pretty comprehensive, but if there is anything else, just ask.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
I try to avoid things that don't come naturally to me so don't often use OH, PWD, Mum etc. How one refers to one's partner is moot. I might say 'wife' but that could just be a term of convenience rather than confirmation of legal status Where possible I will write out terms such as Power of Attorney (with POA in parentheses) on first use and then afterwards use the abbreviation. My working life was full of jargon and abbreviations and sometimes these could mean different things to different people. Having said which, I am quite comfortable reading other members' posts and have got used to the most common abbreviations.

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
OH = other half.
I use this alot because I try to be as anonymous as possible and this term doesnt stipulate whether I am married or not (it also doesnt stipulate gender,

I like this .

I try not to use abbreviations or acronyms but I hadn`t thought of OH being gender neutral. Thanks for that @canary.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @Splatty and welcome to Dementia Talking Point our supportive and friendly community of people who have experience of many aspects of dementia. I am sure that you will find lots of help here. This thread is rather an old one - I had even forgotten my own contribution - not that it matters much. Now you have posted you might consider starting your own thread if you wish to. That's often the best way to raise issues specific to one's own situation and can be a good way of sharing concerns or letting off steam. Do keep reading and responding to threads started by others and use the forums in the way that suits you best.