JanJ

JanJ

Aug 31, 2013
Hi I am new to talking point, but need some input as to what is happening to Dad.

Today he seemed very disorientated, pacing the floor, not knowing what day or date it was, kept checking the calender, checking his money.

He has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's but we are managing, but today was a first like this. What could the matter be!

Shash7677

Sep 15, 2012
Nuneaton, warwickshire
Hi JanJ,

Welcome to talking point, I'm sorry to hear of your dads diagnosis but you've come to the right place for help, support and advice.

I was thinking it may be getting your dad checked for a water infection (if you haven't already ruled that out). My mum has AD and whenever she gets very agitated, she paces anyway so she isn't affected that way but they do strange things to people's behaviour. Constipation is another thing with mum that makes her have increased agitation.

They're just 2 of the things I can think of but others will be along shortly I'm sure with more advice.

Sharon

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
It could be an infection, urinary tract infections (UTIs) are common.
Take a urine sample to his GP as soon as possible.
Also book an appointment with the GP to ask advice about the sudden change.

Dazmum

Jul 10, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
Hi Jan and welcome to TP. It may be that your Dad has a UTI or urinary tract infection, as this can often cause additional confusion. Is he on any medication yet? I'm sure others will be along soon with other suggestions. Sometimes these things happen seemingly out of the blue, and it is worrying for everyone. It's a good idea to keep a diary of such events.

JanJ

Aug 31, 2013
Hi JanJ,

Welcome to talking point, I'm sorry to hear of your dads diagnosis but you've come to the right place for help, support and advice.

I was thinking it may be getting your dad checked for a water infection (if you haven't already ruled that out). My mum has AD and whenever she gets very agitated, she paces anyway so she isn't affected that way but they do strange things to people's behaviour. Constipation is another thing with mum that makes her have increased agitation.

They're just 2 of the things I can think of but others will be along shortly I'm sure with more advice.

Sharon

Thank you for your quick response and I will call Doctors Monday to get him an appointment to see if water infection.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi Jan and welcome to TP.

The 2 things I would have suggested have already been mentioned here. Do you have an out of hours service at all? If you do I would suggest that you try to get either your dad or a sample to them as soon as possible. It it is a UTI then the sooner he starts antibiotics the better.

JanJ

Aug 31, 2013
It could be an infection, urinary tract infections (UTIs) are common.
Take a urine sample to his GP as soon as possible.
Also book an appointment with the GP to ask advice about the sudden change.

Will take a urine sample to Doctors Monday. Thank you for your response.

JanJ

Aug 31, 2013
Hi Jan and welcome to TP. It may be that your Dad has a UTI or urinary tract infection, as this can often cause additional confusion. Is he on any medication yet? I'm sure others will be along soon with other suggestions. Sometimes these things happen seemingly out of the blue, and it is worrying for everyone. It's a good idea to keep a diary of such events.

Thank you for quick response.

JanJ

Aug 31, 2013
Hi Jan and welcome to TP.

The 2 things I would have suggested have already been mentioned here. Do you have an out of hours service at all? If you do I would suggest that you try to get either your dad or a sample to them as soon as possible. It it is a UTI then the sooner he starts antibiotics the better.

Will see if we have an out of hours service and do as you suggested. Many thanks.

Shash7677

Sep 15, 2012
Nuneaton, warwickshire
Hi JanJ,

I hope you get sorted/have manged to get sorted with some antibiotics.

One time when mum was at home she was acting all out of sorts and we managed to get a doctor out to the house. It's not always easy but if you explain about the AD and the behaviour, that it would be too stressful to leave the house then hopefully one will come out.

It's late I know, sorry, I've only just thought about it now.

Take care

Sharon x