I've lost patience with Adult Social Care.....

Carer638

Sep 21, 2012
Hi
My wife has early onset dementia - diagnosed 4 years ago.
She can't function without constant care.
Her GP and the Admiral Nurse agree with me that she should be in residential care, but Adult Social Care (SS) say she's not ready. I believe what they really mean is that they don't have anywhere capable of delivering the care appropriate to her condition.
Anyone out there familiar with this predicament?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
You have to move up the food chain and complain to Adult Social Care management, present them with succinct evidence from the GP and Admiral Nurse, they have a duty of care to your wife as a vulnerable adult.

Are there any instances of challenging behaviour?
Is your own health at risk?

jellymac

Nov 29, 2014
West Midlands
Hi Carer638

Im sorry you are having problems with SS, my mom has been in residential care for 4 weeks now, before that we had massive problems with our social services, it was the biggest battle ever which on top of the heartache of my moms condition was too much. We had our social worker doing everything she could to refuse what we wanted, she didn't answer/return our calls, she lied and denied things we had said and asked for, everything was i'll have to ask my manager, we had her line manager telling us it was too expensive, we were't bothering with my mom, to trying to make us feel guily about locking her up in an institute (his exact words). It got to the point I was writing everything down for evidence. We also had to go through a programme with carers coming in but that didn't work as my mom was refusing and getting violent with them, their manager came to see my dad and I told them everything, even he was disgusted at how we had been treated, as he also worked for the council he called social worker and complained on our behalf. In the end I turned round and said I was making a complaint to the top person and I contacted my mom and dads local MP, as soon as I told them that everything changed, the speed with which they made things happen was unbelieveable. Do not let them fob you off, they will do anything not to have to spend money, please look after yourself.

Carer638

Sep 21, 2012
You have to move up the food chain and complain to Adult Social Care management, present them with succinct evidence from the GP and Admiral Nurse, they have a duty of care to your wife as a vulnerable adult.

Are there any instances of challenging behaviour?
Is your own health at risk?

Lol! Yeah I've done that and made a formal complaint.
SS simply won't contact either.
Last month they proposed a Professionals Meeting. It took them 3 weeks to invite people to input. Still don't have an actual date for the meeting. They also said they'd find an Independent Advocate to represent my wife. They haven't done that either.
In the meantime we have a 24/7 carer who my wife can't empathise with. So she's very stressed and anxious.
Currently putting together a case to put before the court of protection to compel SS to place her. Problem is I have to do that myself as I can't afford the legal fees. (Don't mention legal aid.
My wife is constantly angry and abusive (verbally and a bit physically). Only I can bathe dress and put her to bed.
I'm a bit stressed. But things are easier with the carer. But my wife is still being damaged by the situation

jasmineflower

Aug 27, 2012
Hi
I suggest that next time your wife shows aggression to anyone that you report it either to the police or 111 so that you have a record of it. Apparently the police/ambulance staff are very good at reporting incidents to SS which can help you bolster your case.