I've just ordered some flowers to be delivered to me

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
We have a few decorations up but not many, and we don't have a tree. The flowers in the vase on the table are looking a bit sad now. So I ordered some to be delivered tomorrow - to me. I was going to include a card from my husband but thought that was going a bit too far.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Well done - and why not? At the weekend I bought myself a pair of earrings as my Christmas present from my husband, who died three and a half years ago. I can see him up there raising an eyebrow and saying - not more jewellery!

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Well done - and why not? At the weekend I bought myself a pair of earrings as my Christmas present from my husband, who died three and a half years ago. I can see him up there raising an eyebrow and saying - not more jewellery!

Made me smile Izzy :)

I treated myself to some make-up. I'm no glamour puss but I try. My Chimney sweep (ex teacher) made my day today by saying he hoped it wasn't inappropriate but he thought my ex husband must have been nuts to have left me. It's the little things...

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I saw some beautiful bouquets in Lidl today, in orange and red, and I was tempted, I'm telling you. Good for you! :)

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
We haven't bought each other Christmas or birthday presents for years.

But every year, on the anniversary of my husband's cardiac arrest, I buy myself something nice because he has never even said thank you. We all deserve to do nice things for ourselves occasionally.

I hope the flowers look lovely and that you have a happy Christmas.

Vitesse

Oct 26, 2016
What a great idea!! We haven’t bought each other presents for years, but this year seems different - my husband doesn’t really know it’s December, let alone Christmas!! Previously we used to agree not to buy presents, now he doesn’t know who I am! I may just go out today and get a bunch of flowers!!

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Why not, we are the only friend who is with us from first breathe to last! This year I have bought my self a few treats, a book, a CD.
So let's treat ourselves kindly.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
I have treated myself to Spotify on my phone and now I can play my own choice of music when I am at dads or anywhere.

It's wonderful. Happy Christmas everyone.

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
Well the flowers have arrived and I'm so disappointed. So much so that I've put in a complaint. They don't look at all like the picture advertised. I've used this same company when I've sent flowers to other people. This is the first time I've ordered some for myself.

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
What a pity....
but the idea was good. and perhaps you can select another florist next time you treat yourself. I ordered my daughter who is born late November and advent decoration I wanted the florist to do something to take her thru the holidays. I was very disappointed in what they delivered and it only lasted like a week<! Not what I had in mind....but dealing with a Norwegian florist. I will just try a different one next time.
It was a good effort to order flowers for yourself.
Merry Christmas.

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
I have bought our presents and it’s a new pair of trousers and belt for him plus a very expensive bunch of asparagus from Peru! I bought myself a shopping trolley in order to convey said asparagus, plus all my other Christmas food back home. It’s also part of a New Years resolution to get more exercise by doing the shopping on foot at shops nearby because I can leave him for short periods of time. Two birds with one stone!

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Well done! Grahamstown, Positivity in action! After a disturbed night all is quiet here. I am enjoying a peaceful start. I will wear a green dress and and I have put out a red jumper for my love so we will look Christmassy!
Last year for my birthday I was given a subscription to flowers that came monthly, they came beautifully packed. Some flowers had little net caps on to protect them. They can start at at £20 if it is not renewed I will buy another sub for myself. The flowers have been beautiful and lasted well. Xxx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I bought myself a shopping trolley in order to convey said asparagus, plus all my other Christmas food back home. It’s also part of a New Years resolution to get more exercise by doing the shopping on foot at shops nearby

Good thinking @Grahamstown

My shopping trolley is an extension of my right arm. It enables me to use the high street for my shopping and helps me have a decent walk to and fro.

Happy Christmas

dancer12

Jan 9, 2017
Mississauga
We have a few decorations up but not many, and we don't have a tree. The flowers in the vase on the table are looking a bit sad now. So I ordered some to be delivered tomorrow - to me. I was going to include a card from my husband but thought that was going a bit too far.
What a lovely idea, I'll have to remember that for next year.:)

lilypat

Mar 1, 2019
Yorkshire
This post made me smile , after having to get someone to help him buy my xmas card in the shop ,,I decided that the best way for me to receive a xmas gift was to buy anything I wanted my self . He was most agreeable with this idea , the one requirement I made was he had to wrap them with help from daughter when she was over visiting,,

Littlebear

Jan 6, 2017
Devon
I've been feeling tearful all day. On Monday I had a call from my dad's oncology department to say his prostate cancer has gone into his bones (he's had it for more than 20 years) & it's now just a question of months. He's 98 & has had a good life - he's living with us now - but I'm sad to think they'll be no more Christmases together. I tried to make it a good day but my husband (PWD) didn't make it easy. In the end hubby took himself to bed at 6pm as soon as we'd finished eating & dad was in bed by 7 so it's been a long evening. I've had a couple of phone calls but have cut them short as I didn't want to cry on the phone & spoil their celebrations. I don't mind the lack of presents but I do so miss having a house full of people. For carers t can be a lonely disease.

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
I've been feeling tearful all day. On Monday I had a call from my dad's oncology department to say his prostate cancer has gone into his bones (he's had it for more than 20 years) & it's now just a question of months. He's 98 & has had a good life - he's living with us now - but I'm sad to think they'll be no more Christmases together. I tried to make it a good day but my husband (PWD) didn't make it easy. In the end hubby took himself to bed at 6pm as soon as we'd finished eating & dad was in bed by 7 so it's been a long evening. I've had a couple of phone calls but have cut them short as I didn't want to cry on the phone & spoil their celebrations. I don't mind the lack of presents but I do so miss having a house full of people. For carers t can be a lonely disease.
I'm sorry your day has been full of sadness what with your feelings for your dad and having to cope with you husband too. It's not easy at Christmas as we can't help but compare things with past Christmases. Put Christmas behind you now and cope the best you can and make the most of what time you have left with your dad.

White Rose

Nov 4, 2018
I mentioned somewhere else on TP that I bought my partner a 'Joy for All' robotic dementia dog for Christmas, he loved it, so sweet to see him cuddling it. It barks and wags it's tail and makes cute little noises when you stroke it. They do dementia cats as well. He had a few presents to open but I think the significance of Christmas was lost on him this year whereas last year he was still with it enough to make sure we bought presents for his family and he could even write on the cards, he can't write anything now. Last year he was concerned that I should have a present, this year there was no thought or suggestion (I bought myself a new jumper in the sales). What a difference a year makes.

Florencefennel

Jun 11, 2018
Oh .Littlebear, what a sad time for you..it is so difficult to manage a significant time in your life when there is scant support from your OH.
My son died almost 4years ago and( pre diagnosis) my OH found it very difficult to understand my feelings and it really hurt me. Since then I have tried to accept it was the undiagnosed dementia. Life is hard!