I've been handed a lifeline

Nan2seven

Apr 11, 2009
Dorset
Dear Elaine, I am so very pleased for you. When I first had time to myself I used to just go out and enjoy the freedom to mooch about in book-shops, in the DVD section of the local library, walk down aisles in the supermarket I never had time for, take a long bath instead of a rushed shower - you'll find lots of little ways to fill your time. And the sense of freedom is quite heady.:) Enjoy!

Love, Nan XXX

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Elaine, hi
Thinking of you and Gary today, I do so hope it's a good day for you both.
With kind regards from Jo

elaine n

Jun 1, 2010
west country uk
Brilliant!

Well....the sitter arrived just before 12 o clock and I went out to meet him, having shut the dogs in the garden. We had a brief chat and he came in, Gary was in the kitchen looking very anxious.In no time C the sitter was chatting away to us both and Gary started to relax. C suggested they fed the birds (I'd told him Gary liked to do that) then suggested they both made a cup of tea and so on, I'd left a jigsaw on the table from this morning and some other things we'd been doing so they went off to do that. After a while I popped out to the supermarket (don't rush C said) :( I must admit I felt very anxious while I was out and a bit odd! (where was the bloke who hung onto the shopping trolley for grim death?!):) Tried to spin the time out but couldn't so came back early....I know, I know! i'll get better at it!:D Anyway, (you all still here?)!! when I came home expecting Gary to be looking out for me - oh! he's not! - I popped my head round the door of the dining room, he glanced up from what they were doing and carried on!!!!!! I'd like to be affronted but I'm thrilled!!!:D
This guy is amazingly perceptive and an absolute gem! He's supposed to come on Thursday but has to attend a course so the agency was going to send someone else but I've cancelled it, I feel very strongly that Gary needs to build up a relationship with one person and it would be counter productive to send someone else at this stage. They're already planning times out (well, C is - Gary's not capable of that) and may even go out with one of the dogs!

Thank you all for your lovely warm thoughts today xxxxxxe

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Elaine, hi
Result :)

I'm so glad you have joined the club, hard isn't it, but so worthwhile in the long term.

Take good care and sleep well tonight after all the worry, Cheers, Jo

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Elaine, hi
It's a funny old club you have joined, there are no rules and no timescales, but lots of us doing our best, oola, welcome :)

It's another part of this funny old world, Cheers, Jo

CaPattinson

May 19, 2010
West Yorks
I popped my head round the door of the dining room, he glanced up from what they were doing and carried on!!!!!!

Says it all!!!!:D:D Gary sorted now its you who has to adjust! As you knew anyway:rolleyes:I think you're right though in cancelling Thursday, for gary and C to get on so well - priceless!!!!

Now you know gary is fine, I think you'll find things to do and enjoy. Then you'll wish you had MORE time!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I'm thrilled to bits for you Elaine.:) Did you say that besides the 2 x 2 hours you had a full day too????:confused:

Onwards and upwards!!:):):)

elaine n

Jun 1, 2010
west country uk
Yes Chris, Gary's going to a day hospital in just over a week on Fridays for a 6 week assessment, hopefully they'll be able to find a day centre for him after that. I forgot to say that although C should have left at 2pm he didn't go until nearly 2.30 because they hadn't finished what they were doing! :)

danny

Sep 9, 2009
cornwall/real name is Angela
Hi Elaine. Just caching up. The carer you have sounds a great find.I am so pleased for you and Gary.You are so right in not having another carer involved yet, Gary needs to build up trust with a carer.

Great news for a change:)

milly123

Mar 15, 2009
England
hi elaine glad to hear your news make the most of your time i know i was lost the first time i had carers in hope your well sending you love and best wishes milly

larivy

Apr 19, 2009
essex
glad you had a good day Elaine it must have been strange
my brother is taking mum out for the day tomorrow like you not sure what to do having haircut and then hoping the day is sunny so i can take dog out hope you have a good night love larivy

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Yippee. This is the most wonderful news Elaine. You will get used to the time -I promise;):) I remember my first time - I went to a Greek restaurant for a coffee and sat outside in the sunshine. It felt very grown up (I was 59) I think:rolleyes:

Will be seeing you soon:)

Love

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Just an off the wall suggestion, but a bath, nails, hair, eybrows, leg wax for starters, then perhaps a sort out of the wardrobe, because if yours is like mine, there are things that never see the light of day in there. You could start to catalogue the photos you've taken, and just left them sitting in a file on the computer....see and this is before you have even left the house, just wait till you get outside.......:)