It's too hot outside

Crjjrc13

Jul 3, 2017
Anybody else's parent insists on sitting outside all the time, I keep mom in the shade and give her plenty of fluids but I can't get her to stay in the house much during the day time, it was the complete opposite last summer, I was just wondering if any of you all have been thru this, she's burning me up but says she wants to be outside.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi crijjic13, welcome to TP
It depends on where you are, here in northern England I had to give blankets to 2 women today who were too cold. Right now it's 16C/61F outside at midnight , maximum is 2 or 3 degrees hotter tomorrow.
Answers will depend on where you live and drinking is important no mater where you are on the planet.
K

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Crjjrc13

I had problems getting my husband to sit out even in the warmest weather. First he was too cold and insisted on a fleece and blanket, then he became a little agoraphobic , saying he didn`t feel safe.

I don`t see the harm in your mother being outside as long as she`s in the shade and taking lots of fluids. Why are you so worried? Is her skin burning?

Selinacroft

Oct 10, 2015
Complete opposite problem here- can be one of the hottest days of the year and Dad is telling me to shut the window and put on the third heater when 2 are already on as there is a gale blowing through the open door. :mad:

Pear trees

Jan 25, 2015
My mum would insist on sitting in the garden wearing hat gloves and many layers last summer, and would refuse to take layers off or drink anything.
This year she refuses to go out but still wears many layers and wants the heating on, and no open windows, and still refuses to drink more than a few sips of tea or an Ensure.

Theresam

Aug 7, 2017
Too hot outside

Anybody else's parent insists on sitting outside all the time, I keep mom in the shade and give her plenty of fluids but I can't get her to stay in the house much during the day time, it was the complete opposite last summer, I was just wondering if any of you all have been thru this, she's burning me up but says she wants to be outside.

My mom and dad both have Alzheimer's but my mom is in the later stages than my dad. She will not stay inside. It can be so hot outside and and pulls weeds, grass whatever and I can not get her to come inside. It is a constant battle. I have taken her to get skin cancer cut off her face and I put sun screen on her but it will not stop her. She will sometimes just sit on the patio and tell me there is a cool breeze when it is 107 degrees outside. I am lost of what to do. Sure hope someone has some tips because I am at my wits end.

Mimi5

Apr 22, 2017
Essex
My MIL never, ever sits out or even goes out, only to tesco with me & then straight home ,inside!

But she feels the cold, cardi's, blankets hot water bottles!! Hates the hot weather, but again windows closed etc. I put fans in the lounge and bedroom in the recent hot spell. "Do you think they really help?" she asked. I said yes & asked if the breeze was nice, "Oh yes she said":rolleyes:Very diificult, I can only imagine the the signals/messages to the brain are scrambled and that causes the wrong response the the weather/climate.

She is a nightmare to get fluid in to!!!! :mad:

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland

You keep your Mum in the shade and she takes fluid so basically that is all you can do. She enjoys being outside so as long as she is safe And visible to you, let it be. A note of caution, a person with Dem can disappear in seconds so outside area has to be escape proof.

Aisling xx