It's so surreal

amberence

Mar 15, 2008
Barton upon Humber
Mum went into the care home today same as step-father for a week's respite care. After months of feeling like being pulled through a hedge backwards dealing with mum's dementia on a daily basis I'm left now feeling like a child in a sweet shop, having so many delights to pick and choose from. So many things to do in a week, all my old interests to go back and pick up maybe again and don't know which one to start and concentrate first on ... my music with some serious playing on the piano again, all that reading to catch up hadn't in the last year, some digital photography never got into since had the camera, or some gardening, a love of mine.

I am though filled wiith mixed emotions about the coming week ... happy to be free from caring for a week I've done nearly for two years, virtually 24/7 without a proper break, caring at one stage for both mum and step-father till he went into a care home July 2007, and yet apprehensive at the same time about mum coming home after a week's bliss away caring and coping with her dementia.

Keith.

Last edited:

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I'm left now feeling like a child in a sweet shop, having so many delights to pick and choose from. So many things to do in a week, all my old interests to go back and pick up maybe again and don't know which one to start and concentrate first on ... my music with some serious playing on the piano again, all that reading to catch up hadn't in the last year, some digital photography never got into since had the camera, or some gardening, a love of mine.

Oh I know how you feel , I felt like that ( child in a sweet shop ) when I had my first respite after 3 years of caring .

Then next moment had Mix emotion, but it sound like you have lots of positive things that you enjoy doing that going to occupy your thought to make you feel more positive about it all, have a lovely week & enjoy your time all for yourself .

I found it made my caring role much more positive forward thinking when I plained respite for mum

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Hi Keith,

You certainly have a lot to cram into your week and here's hoping that you enjoy every bit of it. Take Care, Taffy. :)

Ditto

May 17, 2008
Cape Town
Just let your soul rest a while and it will come to you !

It isn't easy, I know... Thoughts of a million "must do's" always invade my mind when I eventually get a little time off. It's as though we should "make the most" of this time..filling our days with this and that's. But quite honestly, what you really need to do is ....

"Just let your soul rest a while and then it will come to you"

Don't stress if you never get around to that book, or those photo's or the piano, just relax, stay in bed late, eat a meal without stress, take a walk without worry, watch a movie without guilt!

Just "BE" and enjoy!

Hugs

Ditto

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Ditto, I couldn't agree more!

I never had respite when John was at home (apart from two hours twice a week from Crossroads), and now that he's in care, I should have so much more time.

In fact, the house and garden were cleaner and tidier when he was at home! Then, I had to organise my time and make the most of every free moment. Now, I organise my day round my visits, and in between am inclined to do nothing!

I know I have to motivate myself, but it will happen in its own time.

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Skye, so do nothing and stop feeling guilty about it. Just do nothing. Read the paper, watch daytime tv, listen to the Archers, watch Deal or No Deal, take a long bath with bubbles and a glass of wine.

You deserve it. That is what I will be doing after the end of August.

Love

Margaret