its not as bad as it looks

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Gosh Donna I was horrified at your mother photo, falling forward is one thing , but getting a black eye, how can that happen !!!

The bed she sleeping in must be high to have that hard a fall

My mother I know can’t put her slippers on herself, so I let her sleep with them on, so I may have to wash sheets often , but I don’t care that’s why I have a washing machine . as she gets up at night time alone to go to the toilet

PS

How do you find it when your mother at home with you and sleeping in the bed and getting up ?

Last edited:

dmc

Mar 13, 2006
quick update

hi all

as its been easter i havent really got a lot to tell, but the hospital have now put mum on two mattereses on the floor with a big cushion by her side.

The nurse on duty did explain to dad what had happened and weve also had a explanation for the other fall a few weeks ago, funny how everybody wants to try and explain now:rolleyes: .

mum dosent seem to have suffered any ill effects thank goodness but she has got a corker of a black eye.
Im still not happy about the time it had taken the doctor to arrive but apparently he had 3 hospitals to cover:eek:
surely something has to be done about that.
thankyou all again for your replies

donna xxxxx

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Just catching up

Hi Donna,
Just catching up here. I was horrified to see the photo of your mother. Thank goodness they have now listened & have put her on two mattresses. I hope this will rectify the problem.

Yes, once carers start getting pushy (and rightly so), isn't it amazing how answers appear?

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Just picking up on your posts and feel so sorry you have had to go through all this. It seems something is being done but as always such delays!! Hope YOU are feeling better now. Best wishes Beckyjan

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Glad to read that they are doing something to prevent her falling so hard on to the floor, what kind of fooling is it anyway as you say , hospital is it just vinyl fooling ? Is it a hospital just for people dementia?

As in my area they call it nursing care home that is just for people with dementia AZ. I think as I read on TP other call them EMI?!!

So your mum is in a hospital that is just for people with dementia?

As could you not ask for your mother to be moved to some where they is more equipped for her needs , as I know when my mother went to a nursing care home for people just with dementia last year , all was staff was train for people with dementia , all room fitted with equipment to help them get in out bed and in bathroom toilet , they where quite amazing really

Maybe its just that post code thing , depending what area you live depend on what kind of nursing care home they have for people with dementia / AZ

May be if you tell them you want her move, complain in writing like you said your going to do , they get they finger out and realize they are not catering to her need and her care need are higher then they can proved , so they better find some where that can , or your report then to the abuse for the elderly section

that scare then more to proved for your mother care , and be more on the ball in checking on her at night time , your think they would have one of those technical assistant that as soon as she puts her feet on the floor , they know she getting up as it sends a signal to the staffing room , to alert them she getting up

Last edited:

dmc

Mar 13, 2006
that scare then more to proved for your mother care , and be more on the ball in checking on her at night time , your think they would have one of those technical assistant that as soon as she puts her feet on the floor , they know she getting up as it sends a signal to the staffing room , to alert them she getting up

hi margarita

i did ask about something like that to alert them as to when patients are getting up but im afraid its down to nhs and money.
the hospital mum is in has only 4 wards and only mums is catered for dementia patients most of them have been there a number of years, and all are elderly we dont think its that suitable for mum as she is only 66 but there is no where else she can go, a home is the next step but that has to be dads choice, its when he feels its right.
hopefully when the social services get involved as they said they would we might see a change in how things are run:rolleyes:
i'll post as soon as i hear anything
thanks all for your posts
thanks beckyjan im ok now ive calmed down a bit:)
donna xxxx

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
a home is the next step but that has to be dads choice

If you don’t mind me asking, what are your father fears about being in home then a hospital?
Hospital that she stays anyway most of the week and is with elderly people also .

Would not a care home have a safer surrounding then the hospital she in now?
And still be able to still have the same arrangement as she does now with you and your father being able to come home stay few night .

Then I think if your mother needs are nursing care home , she won’t be able to go just a normal residence care home

is that what you mean when you say care home ? residence care home

Last edited:

dmc

Mar 13, 2006
hi margarita

my dad dosent fear anything about homes, what i meant is that dad will have to be the one that decides when he feels it is time for mum to go in a home.

i think in a ideal world he would rather care for her at home but thats not a option either unless he could have carers in every day of the week.
at the moment he is only allocated two days when mum is home.
best wishes

donna x

Lonestray

Aug 3, 2006
Hereford
Shocked and saddened

Hi Donna, The picture of your Mum both saddened and shocked me. It brought back memories of the NH Jean was in, where two ladies were badly injuried on their head and faces due to avoidable falls. Both were not unlike your Mums.

One had been shouting, so I went to luck, she was trying to pull her pad out from between her legs. When I told a staff member, she was busy and would get around to it! Some time later I heard a commotion in her room next door. When things quitened down I looked in to find her arm bandaged and side of her face and head badly bruised. A heart breaking sight and it still disturbes me, that poor lady had no visitors and was often ignored. It was my good fortune to be able to help her later, when again staff ignored her repeated cries in a high pitched voice of "I can't see." When I told the staff "She's always shouting" was their answer. Her glasses were smudged with talcum, I took then to the sink and cleaned them, her smile I treasure.
The other lady fell from her wheelchair, fortunately I had arrived just after her fall.
I'd just been asked to leave my wife's room as they were about to change her pad ready to wheel her to the dining room. They rushed out and forgot about my wife to attend to the badly injured.
It was not long after that I refused to leave Jean's room when asked, but that's another story. Boy did I blow my top on a number of occasions and it took some time for the words of our daughter to sink in as we left a meeting about my taking Jean home. "I think there're pleased to be rid of you and Mum". Surprised I asked why she said that: "Because you spent too much time there every day so you saw too much".
I hate to think what I'd have done if they'd neglected Jean's safety as they did your Mum's case. When we place our loved ones in their care we should insist on true TLC enacted. There should be no place for uncaring people in the system.
Sorry to rant, but I can't ever blot out the sad lonely people I came to know and like at the NH over four years ago.
Keep fighting for your Mum don't let up and good luck. Padraig

dmc

Mar 13, 2006
hello padraig

thanks so much for your post, you remind me of my dad in some ways as he hasnt not visited my mum the whole time she's been in hospital, he also will say his peace if he thinks things are not right, this is the 3rd hospital mum has been at in just over a year we often say to him its becouse he's there as much as my mum :D
your story's ring a lot of bells with me one lady in particular who screams all day yet if you take the time to talk to her she's lovely ...they often put her in a room with a radio on her own so she dosent disturb the others. so sad:(

i think its brilliant the way your able to cope with your wife at home, dad finds it very hard to cope without help and mum can play him up a lot, which at times im sure she knows what she is doing:rolleyes:

thanks again
donna x

jan.

Apr 19, 2006
Cheshire, UK.
Dear Donna,

What can i say.............I feel so sad at seeing the photograph of your poor mum,
I hope she will soon be on the mend and that the double mattress on the floor will prevent any such incidences ever happening again to her. IMHO it`s this sort of incident that prevents me( and maybe others?) from contemplating a NH for dad......i find it frightening.

Sending you {{{{{{{BIG HUGS}}}}}} Thinking of you,
Love,
Jan. X :)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anne Paterson