It's life Jim - but not as we know it!

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
That sounds very heavy handed @jenniferjean . I would be tempted to phone up and ask for an explanation from a senior manager as to why they want to see your details when you’re not getting any financial support from them.

Doesn’t it make your blood boil ?

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
I would agree, it's just the bit "any chargeable care and support received from --------- County Council" that's making me hold back. I've got to think about how things could change in the future. I don't want to stir things up that might backfire. I'll just have to play along with it.

Flossie369

May 6, 2020
I would agree, it's just the bit "any chargeable care and support received from --------- County Council" that's making me hold back. I've got to think about how things could change in the future. I don't want to stir things up that might backfire. I'll just have to play along with it.

Flossie369

May 6, 2020
Hi, cannot believe this. Thanks for posting this as it will make a lot of us take note.
Hiw many years of statements are they asking for?

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
I took my husband to the care home this morning for 2 weeks respite. I had told him we were going on holiday, but of course he can only hold that information for less than 5 minutes. But while we waited having had our Covid tests I explained to him that we wouldn't be staying together. I knew that once he saw his room with a single bed he might start asking questions.
The first thing I had done wrong was to bring his medication in his dispenser that I use. I was told they need the medication in the original packets with the information that comes with them, as prescribed. So that had to be picked up, which wasn't a major problem but I wish they'd told me that in the first place.
They decided I should cut the visit short while he had his lunch and they will phone me in a couple of days to arrange another visit. They were about to give him his lunch in his room. I hope they don't keep him in his room too much.
So I'm now back in a very quiet flat which feels really strange. They told me that I need to chill out and rest, but it does feel weird.
I feel I ought to do something but to tell the truth I'm too tired.

Old Flopsy

Sep 12, 2019
Hi @jenniferjean I know, to an extent, how you feel. My OH went into a care home on Wednesday, after 10 days in hospital. He will be staying in permanently.

I feel bereft, lonely, and sad.

I too feared that my OH would have to spend two weeks in isolation but, having had 3 negative tests in hospital, and in the care home, he is being allowed into the communal lounge so I just hope so much that he settles in.

Hopefully your husband will adjust to his new surroundings and get to know the staff who will do their utmost to encourage him to enjoy his holiday. The other residents will be company for him.

I do hope that you will feel the benefit of a break from caring 24/7, but it does feel weird.

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
I am really upset.
I contacted the care home a couple of weeks ago to enquire what the position is with new admissions, as I told them I couldn't let my husband go there if he had to be in isolation. I was told that he wouldn't and would have a test when he arrived.
He had the test yesterday, we both did, on arrival. But I've just heard this morning, when I telephoned to see what sort of a night he had, that he is being isolated for ten days.
I was really looking forward to having a few days rest from caring, but I don't think I can leave him there in isolation.

Old Flopsy

Sep 12, 2019
@jenniferjean oh how awful being now told the opposite of what you were originally told!

Maybe you could speak to him on the phone to ascertain how he is taking it?

It may be of some comfort to know that I have a friend who's wife is in the same position and he said it's one to one attention in isolation and a number of carers spent a lot of time chatting to his wife- now she has completed her period of isolation and he visits her every other day and says she has been fine.

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
I visited my husband yesterday and he seemed relaxed and okay. I pretended I'd been in yesterday, rather than a week ago, and asked him if he'd missed me. He said no, he said he'd seen me that morning. So the inability to track time is working to my advantage.
They told me they'd had to find him as he was in the lounge. I asked him what was he doing in the lounge and he said he hadn't been there and had been in his room all the time. I asked him if he had had his dinner in his room and he said he'd had it downstairs. So I can't tell how things have been as he can't remember anything.
Before I left home to visit yesterday I had a call from one of the nurses to say he was running out of one of his tablets. I asked her which one and was she sure that was all he was running out of. She said that was the only one. So I took those in with me when I went, but received another call at about 5p.m. to say she'd made a mistake and there were others and could I bring them in today. So I wasn't well pleased as I have to get a taxi whenever I have to go there.
Now I have to wait until after 5p.m. today in order to try and book my next visit. I just hope they aren't all booked up again.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
I visited my husband yesterday and he seemed relaxed and okay. I pretended I'd been in yesterday, rather than a week ago, and asked him if he'd missed me. He said no, he said he'd seen me that morning. So the inability to track time is working to my advantage.
They told me they'd had to find him as he was in the lounge. I asked him what was he doing in the lounge and he said he hadn't been there and had been in his room all the time. I asked him if he had had his dinner in his room and he said he'd had it downstairs. So I can't tell how things have been as he can't remember anything.
Before I left home to visit yesterday I had a call from one of the nurses to say he was running out of one of his tablets. I asked her which one and was she sure that was all he was running out of. She said that was the only one. So I took those in with me when I went, but received another call at about 5p.m. to say she'd made a mistake and there were others and could I bring them in today. So I wasn't well pleased as I have to get a taxi whenever I have to go there.
Now I have to wait until after 5p.m. today in order to try and book my next visit. I just hope they aren't all booked up again.
dont they order them or hasnt your husband been there long enough.

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
I visited my husband at the care home this afternoon. It's amazing how quick 30 minutes lasts. Still he'll be home on Tuesday.
I had a chat with one of the carers who has been with him. She said whenever she asked him if he wanted to go down and watch the TV he said no, he said he wanted to see his wife. She said he was forever asking where was I.
He looked so sad when I left.

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
Well my husband is now home from his care home respite. I'm happy to have him home again.
I just wish it was as simple as that.
They've lost some of his medication. They've lost his shoes. And believe it or not, they've lost his wheelchair.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
How annoying, specially the wheelchair. I hope they find it and the other things too.
Hope your husband is settling back into his routines well, and that you feel refreshed after the respite.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It's really difficult getting him into bed now. He has no coordination. He lays down and then moves until he's laying across the bed, east to west sort of thing.

I remember that stage well @jenniferjean

My husband used to lie diagonally across the bed.

I was advised to get him to stand with the back of his legs against the bed, let him sit on the bed then lift his legs and swing them round. It `s easier said than done and the heavy legs can cause back problems for the carer but it`s worth a try.

PalSal

Dec 4, 2011
Pratteln Switzerland
It's really difficult getting him into bed now. He has no coordination. He lays down and then moves until he's laying across the bed, east to west sort of thing.
Hi Jenniferjean We too had this problem of laying sideways on the bed. Someone here on TP suggested getting pillow cases which were a bright strong primary color different from the other bedclothes. It helped. And he could orient his position. Perhaps it would help your hubby.

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
I was advised to get him to stand with the back of his legs against the bed, let him sit on the bed then lift his legs and swing them round. It `s easier said than done and the heavy legs can cause back problems for the carer but it`s worth a try.
I can get him to swing his legs round, but it's then that he seems to twist and turn until he's in the wrong direction. He's looking at me all the time he's doing it, so last night I moved to the other side of the bed and he wasn't quite as bad, just ended up in the middle of the bed.