It's life Jim - but not as we know it!

Jaffy

Oct 24, 2013
Ohio USA
We've just been out for a lunchtime meal. There were thirteen of us from the flats and we went in four cars. We went to a local garden center and had a table reserved and we had table service. The food was good and my husband ate well. The only problem my husband has sometimes when he's eating is his nose runs, and he doesn't seem to notice. I had thought about not going for that reason, but I hoped it wouldn't happen. But it did. When I notice I tell him and he uses his hanky, but I don't always notice in time. At one point the lady opposite handed him a serviette. He doesn't seem to be embarrassed by it but I am.

Jaffy

Oct 24, 2013
Ohio USA
This is the very first time that I have found this problem (runny nose and not noticed). My husband has the same and I mean very much so. Sorry you-all are going thru this but as they say "Misery loves company."

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
I haven't been on here for a while as I am just plodding along, all I can do.
So really I'm just making a note on my post to mark a notable place in our journey. Something for me to look back on.
My husband has now started going to a day centre once a week, and I've had feedback from them that he likes to join in with the singing.
At home we never bother with TV now as Brian can't follow anything, so I put Smooth radio on from morning till night. I've noticed that he sings along to songs I don't recall him knowing the words to before. As Smooth repeat the same songs I can't help but wonder if he is actually learning the words now. He is loosing the ability to do so many things, but can he actually be learning new songs.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @jenniferjean
Music (including songs) is stored in memory that is in a different place to memory of events, people, etc. That is why people with dementia and very poor memory can still remember the words to songs and people who are mute because of dementia can often sing songs word perfect.

So yes, it is quite possible that he can still still learn the words of songs

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I’d never thought of it that way @canary .

Towards the end my dad didn’t really watch tv but he still enjoyed watching musicals (Oliver was a particular favourite) and James Last music (which drove me mad ?‍?)

Pusskins

Jun 6, 2020
New Zealand
@canary MH doesn't seem to remember anything at all. I took a rock and roll CD to play to him today and he didn't respond at all. Such a depressing visit today. I just want to curl up into a ball and make it all go away. Gut wrenching to see your LO deteriorating before your eyes. I think he still knows me, but no longer calls me by name or acknowledges me as his wife.

jenniferjean

Apr 2, 2016
Basingstoke, Hampshire
He gave me a scare last night.
Occasionally I find him chewing on something, sometimes a couple of hours after he's eaten. He seems to leave something tucked away in his mouth and then later starts to chew it. I assume he's struggling with it and get him to spit it out.
Last night I noticed him chewing and asked him what he had in his mouth. He always answers 'nothing'. But as before I put a tissue to his mouth and told him to spit it out. Out of his mouth came five cufflinks. He has a couple of drawers near to where he sits where he keeps things that he looks at occasionally, like a memory box. He had a little box with six cufflinks in that he liked to look at. Not any more, I've taken them away.
Oh, and I found the sixth one on the floor - he hadn't eaten it.
I'm now going to look through his memory drawers and see if there's anything else that would fit in his mouth.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My husband was found with his wedding ring in his mouth by vigilant carers @jenniferjean. In his case it had become loose because he`d lost so much weight.

I took it home, telling him I`d have it sized. He accepted this and continued to ask about it for a while, thinking he`d lost it, but then forgot about it.

Be prepared for your husband to be anxious about his treasured possessions jenniferjean.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
He gave me a scare last night.
Occasionally I find him chewing on something, sometimes a couple of hours after he's eaten. He seems to leave something tucked away in his mouth and then later starts to chew it. I assume he's struggling with it and get him to spit it out.
Last night I noticed him chewing and asked him what he had in his mouth. He always answers 'nothing'. But as before I put a tissue to his mouth and told him to spit it out. Out of his mouth came five cufflinks. He has a couple of drawers near to where he sits where he keeps things that he looks at occasionally, like a memory box. He had a little box with six cufflinks in that he liked to look at. Not any more, I've taken them away.
Oh, and I found the sixth one on the floor - he hadn't eaten it.
I'm now going to look through his memory drawers and see if there's anything else that would fit in his mouth.
Omg!
Life seems to circle back , it’s heartbreakingly difficult for you .
((((hugs)))
please let your husbands GP know
send an email
xx

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
I took mums wedding rings off her in hospital , but left her watch on. Glasses got broken & twisted, & confused Mum as she no longer realised she wore them .

I notice like a young toddler / baby that Mum explores items by placing them in her mouth ….. when she was at home it was a major issue for a time. Mum has a few cuddly toys & they seem to be of comfort. I did the same for Dad & it helped .