It's going to be one of those days

Discussion in 'I have a partner with dementia' started by Del24, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Del24

Del24 Registered User

Aug 17, 2014
    Hertfordshire
    My wife seems determined to do the opposite of what I ask like Homer and Bart Simson.
    I thought she might get more amicable but no such luck.
    I will try to get her to have a nap she might be better then.

2. Shedrech

Shedrech Volunteer Moderator

Dec 15, 2012
    Yorkshire
    Hi Del24
    I hope your wife had a nap - maybe you managed one too - and that your day improved.

Maybe you would consider that it might be wise to pick your battles - and not fight the ones that make little difference either way.
    In your earlier post you wrote:
    If you have no plans to go out, and there is no hygiene issue, maybe a day in pj bottoms is not such a big issue - I know we all tend to feel we should be properly dressed during the day, but as long as your wife is decent and warm, that's what matters.

I am, though, really worried about you lifting her, especially without her co-operation. Dad nearly injured himself badly lifting my mum; he only started considering himself when I pointed out that if he ruined his back, he wouldn't be able to care for her at all - and after a couple of falls when he had to concede and call the paramedics to help him lift her.
    I appreciate that I don't know your situation - maybe, though, your wife would be fine sitting in the wheelchair for a while; maybe waiting until she wants to move to her chair could make the moving easier for you both.
    Maybe you could have a chat with an Occupational Therapist - contact through Adult Services - they may be able to offer more aids to take the strain.

3. Scarlett123

Scarlett123 Registered User

Apr 30, 2013
    Essex