It's getting darK early!!!!

The Chewtor

Feb 6, 2016
Gillingham, Kent
Hi peeps, does anyone out there in the winter darkness have any experience of 'light boxes'. do they work? are they any good? do they help us extend the day? does anyone have a recommendation as to which to get?

any clues/info/comments, positive and/or negative really would be of great help.

Thanks guys

Wayne :D:)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Wayne

I have some white light economy light bulbs which impressed a friend of mine who suffered from Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) but have no experience of light boxes.

Information says some are medically certified , not sure if that holds any weight, but they would be an expensive mistake if they are not effective.

Rich PCA Carer

Aug 31, 2015
North Gloucestershire, UK
My wife goes into a semi-hibernation in the shorter days. She sleeps a lot more and does seem so alert when she is awake. I did wonder about light boxes, but they have to be VERY bright and you have to sit VERY close to them for them to be effective.

Since my wife doesn't get depressed, I decided it wasn't worth trying, so I don't have any actual experience.

The NHS advice is http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Seasonal-affective-disorder/Pages/Treatment.aspx.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I never suffered from SAD but I do remember when I was working how miserable it was not to see daylight.

Now I`m retired, at least I can get myself outdoors during daylight and it does help me feel better. I hate living with artificial light on all the time.

The Chewtor

Feb 6, 2016
Gillingham, Kent
thank you for the help folks. the light box is not for me as i spend sooooo much time outside that i do not think it would make any difference.
i have read lots to try and help/advise someone else and it does seem that a few are supposedly medically/scientifically proven but they are expensive. had hoped someone may have had actual experience before a costly error is risked.

will let you know hjow things go

thanks lots

wayne