Its done

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
After a nightmare weekend I have contacted our assessment officer and asked her to start the process of finding a care home for mum.
Mum was diagnosed over 5 years ago although she was showing signs for about 2 years before that.
We live in quite a remote area where help is almost impossible and it has now got to the stage where I feel that I can't continue in my caring role.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Thats a big step @reedysue . Im sure its the right decision, but it will feel hard to you.
It will take you both a while to adjust
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
@reedysue that's probably one of the hardest decisions you've ever made but unfortunately for nearly all of us, it's one we have had to make. You've done so well in carrying on for as long as you have.

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
A big decision and one that none of us make lightly, take care of yourself

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
A big decision, but wise to get underway now rather than waiting for an emergency. Let's hope something is sorted soon. Stay strong.

DaveCr1968

Jul 5, 2020
After a nightmare weekend I have contacted our assessment officer and asked her to start the process of finding a care home for mum.
Mum was diagnosed over 5 years ago although she was showing signs for about 2 years before that.
We live in quite a remote area where help is almost impossible and it has now got to the stage where I feel that I can't continue in my caring role.
Hi there

I'm in a similar situation in a remote location, so have huge amounts of sympathy. My mum was in hospital and was gradually getting better. My dad has dementia and I've been caring for him while she was in. I was looking at a home care package for both but that depended on what she was like coming out of hospital. Sadly, she took a very sudden turn for the worst and passed away.

The only option now on the table is residential care. Dad's GP is clear that he won't be safe overnight or indeed for any significant length of time during the day.

Take care, Dave

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I think you've been struggling with this decision for a while, so well done on making it.

Given your remoteness I'm assuming it will take time to find somewhere and hope you manage to cope in the meantime.

Louise83

Feb 5, 2019
I made the same decision a couple of weeks ago, it is the hardest thing we will have to do as carers.
Mum this week has actually been better than she has in a long time which is making my guilt 10 times worse.
It is a long term decision though and not one we take lightly.

Good luck to you.

DaveCr1968

Jul 5, 2020
Y
I made the same decision a couple of weeks ago, it is the hardest thing we will have to do as carers.
Mum this week has actually been better than she has in a long time which is making my guilt 10 times worse.
It is a long term decision though and not one we take lightly.

Good luck to you.
Thanks, Dad has been better today but thinking logically, this is as good as he can be, and it can be a lot worse. I only have to remind myself what he is like every evening and night.

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
Thank you for all of your replies, I have now been informed that it has been approved and should hear more next week.

Last edited:

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
Residential care is not necessarily such a bad thing. My mum seems (as far as I can tell on Skype) to have improved since going into a home, they have got her eating better and she looks well for her advanced age. What is troubling is that she says she wants to go home, and will look after herself, but that's very unlikely to be realistic. My dad is at home with a plan of care and he is by far the greater concern for me.

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
Things are moving fast, I have spoken with the manager of one of the care homes suggested by social services and they have a vacancy and are happy to have mum move in. Hopefully I will receive the brochure tomorrow together with photographs of the room available.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzieMK27