its been a year where has the time gone?

grobertson62

Mar 7, 2011
Sheffield
a year ago yesterday my dad lost his fight with dementia.
I always thought i would be devastated when he died as we were so close
I was upset yes.but not in bits. i miss him everyday but this hasnt reduced me to tears
i wondered what the first anniversary would be like. Would i cry be sad angrt or what?
Not really any of those things. We just remembered him the good times by sharing a meal of fish and chips. his favourite.
so no tears just happy memories and the understanding that he is free his body is whole again
Am i wrong to feel this way- my sister would say yes
i dont agree. if its one thing i learned from this site and the great people on it. is that there is no right or wrong way to grieve. no time limit and everyone is different
so i want to take this opportunity to say thank you guys for your support over the last few years
it has been tremendous and i am so glad i found this site
Gill

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
sounds good to me.....my mother died 8 months ago and on her birthday this April I bought her favourite flowers for my front room....time moves on and they stay with us but in a different way...

Rathbone

May 17, 2014
West Sussex
Heartwarming from you both. Whatever you hold in your heart is what's right and appropriate and nobody can say there is only one way. So happy for you that you have loving memories. Thank you for sharing.X:)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
There is nothing wrong with your feelings Gill, we all grieve in our own way and you know your heart`s in the right place.

elizabet

Mar 26, 2013
Southampton
I feel as you start to see your loved parent decline with dementia you start to grieve for them from the first diagnosis. It is so good to focus on happy memories and be thankful for a person's life. A great help to me recently since my Mum died 5 months ago is the poem "She is gone" and although I think of Mum everyday I realise I am thankful for her life and example .