it's all going really well!

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
In addition to tidal waves of liquid poo for the last few days, the carer said 'I can smell gas from the gas fire' Waiting now for the engineer.
The gas fire is right next to husband's hospital bed. So I rang the drs to get someone out to check him over. Said to the receptionist we have a small gas leak next to my husbands bed, could I have a Dr. Just to check him over. What do you mean she said. Arrrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhh

lizzybean

Feb 3, 2014
Lancashire
In addition to tidal waves of liquid poo for the last few days, the carer said 'I can smell gas from the gas fire' Waiting now for the engineer.
The gas fire is right next to husband's hospital bed. So I rang the drs to get someone out to check him over. Said to the receptionist we have a small gas leak next to my husbands bed, could I have a Dr. Just to check him over. What do you mean she said. Arrrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhh

Bemused, OK deep breaths, innnn & outtt. And again, innnn & outtt.

Seriously tho, don't you get fed up when it's one thing after another.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Have you phoned the emergency number? If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, get out of the house now!

http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/help/gas_emergency.aspx

Thanks beate yes I have, gas in now turned off, windows are all open, waiting for emergency engineer.

I am concerned about husband but he was awake and talking so I think the best thing to do is wait for the dr.
No good calling paramedics, they would not be able to get him out of the house and it will only stress him out.

turbo

Aug 1, 2007
Hope the gas engineer arrives soon, bemused. The knowledge and attitude of the GP receptionist is dreadful.

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Hope things are getting more under control now bemused. Sometimes you just can't believe it can you. Hope Jess isn't too disturbed by all this.
When we put our last house on the market the people who were wanting to buy it came back with a father who was a gas engineer and he could smell gas. We had probably had a slight leak for years but were so used to it we didn't notice. Called the emergency number and chap came out, turned off the gas and stuck a big yellow 'Do not use' on the fire. Then we had to get our own plumber out to fix it. The gas they use now isn't toxic anyway so you should be fine.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
All is fixed, finally getting round to breakfast. Fire disconnected and plugged.

I think it probably was a slight leak es, but it's right next to hubs bed in the room where he spends all his time. He seems fine but want doc to check just in case.

Receptionists eh? :confused:
Jess was not too bad, I have to lie in wait to stop people ringing the doorbell now.I think delivery people think I spend all day lurking by the front door. Images of black widow spiders crossed my mind then!!!!!

Last edited:

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Hope you are sitting down with a cup of tea and catching your breath now.
Always just as well to check to be on the safe side, you do need to learn to be assertive in your dealings with these 'gatekeepers' don't you. I've found that there is a lot of defensiveness in all sorts of areas - health, social services, etc. It must be because of budget cuts but they all want to fend you off - no point in being meek. Very sad really.
Love the image of you lurking in the shadows ready to pounce:D:D:D
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk

Cue "startled look". Obviously the receptionist has never heard of carbon monoxide? You both need checking over if you've both spent time in the room together. Call a paramedic, if you haven't already, and do it now, Bemused.

Sorry my love. Don't mean to frighten you, but do it now.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Doctor has just phoned, gas in itself is not dangerous unless set fire to, its carbon monoxide that's the problem and that only comes from burning gas. We haven't used the fire for years so all is well.

Just in case anyone else has a similar problem

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Doctor has just phoned, gas in itself is not dangerous unless set fire to, its carbon monoxide that's the problem and that only comes from burning gas. We haven't used the fire for years so all is well.

Just in case anyone else has a similar problem

From burning gas? Ain't heard of that one. Glad you've heard from a doctor Bemused.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I am afraid that's not entirely right.

http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/learn/carbon_monoxide_kills.aspx

What is carbon monoxide?
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a highly poisonous substance produced by the incomplete burning of gas and Liquid Petroleum Gas (LPG).

This happens when a gas appliance has been incorrectly fitted, badly repaired or poorly maintained. It can also occur if flues, chimneys or vents are blocked.

Oil and solid fuels such as coal, wood, petrol and oil can also produce carbon monoxide

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"Doctor has just phoned, gas in itself is not dangerous unless set fire to"

And if the concentration in the atmosphere is between approx 5% and 15% it won't burn, it will EXPLODE.

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
I am afraid that's not entirely right.

http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/learn/carbon_monoxide_kills.aspx

What is carbon monoxide?
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a highly poisonous substance produced by the incomplete burning of gas and Liquid Petroleum Gas (LPG).

This happens when a gas appliance has been incorrectly fitted, badly repaired or poorly maintained. It can also occur if flues, chimneys or vents are blocked.

Oil and solid fuels such as coal, wood, petrol and oil can also produce carbon monoxide

That's what I thought, Beate. Saw a TV programme on the subject years ago. Didn't know about the solid fuels, tho', only gas.

Well done.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"Didn't know about the solid fuels, tho', only gas."

Several people are killed every year because they take a 'dead' BBQ into a tent.

When the BBQ is alight it gives off very little carbon monoxide, it gives off carbon dioxide just like you breath out.

When the charcoal is no longer glowing it is still hot enough to partially burn and give of the lethal carbon monoxide.

Properly burning gas is quite safe as far as poisonous fumes are concerned otherwise there would be no gas hobs or ovens, the danger is when any appliance is starved of oxygen (air).

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Now you've all finished frightening me to death! The fire has been sorted, British gas at least are concerned enough to come out with in the hour. we aren't blown up, husband is fine and we know a lot more thanks to you all than we did before.
I hope other people have learned as well, it just goes to show we can all learn something new

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Tell ya wot, Bemused. when hubby was here, he smoked. I had terrible visions of him blowing us up with the old gas cooker we had. It only takes one stray spark to do terrible damage. He'd leave the jet(s) on with unused gas escaping. One day, I came out to the whole kitchen stinking of gas and had to open the back door for ages. That's one reason I'm so glad he's in care, now. He seems to have forgotten about smoking and never goes into a dangerous area for himself, like a kitchen.

I could tell you some other stories that would make your hair stand up. How he'd try to light a lighter, for instance! Glad, glad, glad those days are gone.

Even gladder you two are now sorted.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Yep, although those old style cookers had advantages too. When I replaced mine, the new one still uses gas cylinders (not mains gas), but can't be used without electricity - the oven at least. The hob can be lit with a match. But- important when William was still here - the gas won't come through if it's not lighting. There's a safety cut off gizmo in the cooker. Genius!

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Glad you're all sorted bemused, another crisis averted!:):):)

Didn't know that about barbecues Nitram. I will tuck the knowledge away and dispense it when needed.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx