It's a tricky one...

Bets

Aug 11, 2005
South-East London, UK
This is a bit personal, but I'm hoping someone may have an idea that would help.

For the last two or three years, my husband prefers to pee in the handbasin rather than the loo. I have, reluctantly, learned to live with this but the problem is that water is taking longer and longer to drain away when the basin is used for more conventional purposes. A friend has told me that urine has a detrimental effect on the pipes, resulting in them clogging up. Does anyone know if this is true, or is it just coincidence? If it is true, what, if anything, can I do about it? Everyone will, I know, take it as a given that trying to get my husband to desist from this practice is not an option!

Bets

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Bets

Certainly is a tricky one!

Have you tried the obvious -- sink & plughole unblocker?

Failing that, the only thing I can suggest is to run the cold tap for several minutes after he's been.

You've probably tried all that, but I don't know anything about pipes. Sure someone will!

Good luck,

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I think this may be coincidence. After all urine is alkaline (isn't it?) so it's a milder version of soda crystals. My concern would be for pipe corrosion. Do you have plastic traps etc? I have a few plumbing websites bookmarked (don't ask) - I'll see if I can find anything out.

Jennifer

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I still use soda crystals to cleanse drains. They might work for the handbasin.

I know someone who used to manage a Pub. She swore by soda crystals to keep the loos clean, so they could work both ways.

Sylvia x

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
jenniferpa said:
I have a few plumbing websites bookmarked (don't ask) - I'll see if I can find anything out.

Jennifer

Hi Jennifer

I knew you'd either know the answer, or know where to find it!

Love,

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
The intersting things you learn: apparantly the salts in urine can crystalise and cause a blockage: this is apparantly not unusual in some urinals. The system to avoid this is to use some form of biological cleaner containing enzymes. I imagine that these are available from cleaning supply companies, but you might want to try a solution of biological washing powder to start with: just don't use bleach with these as they kill the bacteria.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Do you have a toilet that is separated from the bath room ?

Just wondering if so why not get the sink taken out ? just have wet wipes to wash hands after .

I read in profile that your
Caring for my husband who has multi-infarct dementia
can you not get medication for that ? as
My mother use to urinate and phoo in the bath , that was when I did not know what was happening to her , when I told doctor who sent me to consultant , luckily I got good medication for her and it all stop , my mother has AZ .

Michael E

Apr 14, 2005
Ronda Spain
I thought it was only salt water with urine that caused a build up. maybe it is fresh water as well - anyway if it does cause a build up then vinegar will 'help' to disperse it... In my boat I put a 1/2 a cup-full of vinegar down the loo when ever I remember.

In a household situation I would pour some vinegar down the basin once a week at least - enough to fill the U bend and overflow down the pipe.. should help.

(confession: despite having 4 loos in the house sometimes I pee into the basin in the pantry! Please do not tell anybody!)

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
How well I remember Lionel doing exactly the same. Nowdays he has to be helped to stand, and then hopefully use a bottle, with carers to assist.

I would like the old days back.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
... think about it. To a confused mind, wouldn't a sink look just a teeny bit like a urinal? That's why it is a man thing. A WC might just look a bit like a plant pot, perhaps?

just my thoughts

Michael E

Apr 14, 2005
Ronda Spain
Brucie said:
... think about it. To a confused mind, wouldn't a sink look just a teeny bit like a urinal? That's why it is a man thing. A WC might just look a bit like a plant pot, perhaps?

just my thoughts

Well when I use the basin Bruce, it looks like a basin... I do run the cold tap however... (never the hot one as it causes 'steam'!

I know everybody says you should water house plants but I think your suggestion is risky!!! Poor plants will not like it... probably keel over. I think that's a thought too far!

Bets

Aug 11, 2005
South-East London, UK
Hi everyone,

Thanks to all of you for your replies. I shall work my way through your suggestions and see which works!

Brucie - could well be that my husband thinks the washbasin is a urinal (do they have taps? How would I know!) but he does use the loo as well, so it's not that he doesn't recognise it. In fact, he usually uses the loo when he thinks I might catch him peeing in the basin (no lock on our bathroom door - don't ask).

Margarita - one washbasin in bathroom and one in downstairs cloakroom. Can't really do without the one in the bathroom and this is the one giving problems.

Michael - you made me laugh - again - your sense of humour often hits the spot!

Bets

Nutty Nan

Nov 2, 2003
Buckinghamshire
No help from me, Bets, but your post brought back very vivid memories of an incident at a jazz club we used to frequent: hubby emerged from the gents, closely followed by his brother who reported that hubby had just attracted odd stares and a comment by a stranger ('gosh, you must have been desperate!') by peeing into the handbasin. I was mortified. I always waited outside the gents, but obviously had no way of knowing what problems lurked inside. I felt so very sorry for my husband and realised just how vulnerable he had become.

Shortly afterwards, I found out from TP (!) that you can apply for a key for the disabled toilets, and from then onwards I always made out that I needed the loo as well, and it was easier to go in together. What a godsend that key was while we were still able to enjoy outings!

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Could be mistaken for a bidet?
They have taps.
There was a joke on TV ,Spike milligan was on the show,he was doubled up at it.

Seaside landlady asked the guests not to use the chamber pot as the steam turned the bed springs rusty.
Norman