Itchy Head

Shirley Ann

Sep 28, 2013
East Sussex
Mum has had a diagnosis of Alzheimer's for 16 months. Her problem at the moment is a really itchy head. Has anyone else encountered this? We've tried all the usual medicated shampoos, not washing hair to often, a steroid lotion from the GP. There's no redness, no nits, I've bought her a new pillow. Help!

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
No experience of itchy head and dementia but my OH had bad psoriasis and nothing seemed to work except J&J baby shampoo which has calmed the skin.

My thoughts are a bit random but I was wondering if this "itch" was inside the head, like something going on in the blood (??) rather than skin ?? Random I know :)

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
My OH scratches his head a lot. I can't find a cause for it either but sometimes think he does it to have something to do, as he only does it while sitting on the sofa.

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
My Mum suffers from psoriasis on her scalp mainly, and uses Neutrogena T Gel Shampoo. I think this is sold in the UK too.
Having had a problem with ants lately and one crawling up her arm, Mum is always saying her arms and legs are itchy now :rolleyes:
She does have very dry skin though, so encouraging her to use a moisturiser daily after having a bath.