1. Shirley Ann

Shirley Ann Registered User

Sep 28, 2013
    East Sussex
    Mum has had a diagnosis of Alzheimer's for 16 months. Her problem at the moment is a really itchy head. Has anyone else encountered this? We've tried all the usual medicated shampoos, not washing hair to often, a steroid lotion from the GP. There's no redness, no nits, I've bought her a new pillow. Help!

2. 2jays

2jays Registered User

Jun 4, 2010
    West Midlands
    No experience of itchy head and dementia but my OH had bad psoriasis and nothing seemed to work except J&J baby shampoo which has calmed the skin.

My thoughts are a bit random but I was wondering if this "itch" was inside the head, like something going on in the blood (??) rather than skin ?? Random I know :)

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

3. jeany123

jeany123 Registered User

Mar 24, 2012
    Durham
    Hello Shirley Ann, It must be awful for her and distressing for you to watch, I looked this up, you probably have tried everything, I found this and it makes some suggestions I hope it helps,

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-an-Itchy-Scalp

4. Beate

Beate Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Female
    London
    My OH scratches his head a lot. I can't find a cause for it either but sometimes think he does it to have something to do, as he only does it while sitting on the sofa.

5. Linbrusco

Linbrusco Registered User

Mar 4, 2013
    Female
    Auckland...... New Zealand
    My Mum suffers from psoriasis on her scalp mainly, and uses Neutrogena T Gel Shampoo. I think this is sold in the UK too.
    Having had a problem with ants lately and one crawling up her arm, Mum is always saying her arms and legs are itchy now :rolleyes:
    She does have very dry skin though, so encouraging her to use a moisturiser daily after having a bath.

6. CollegeGirl

CollegeGirl Registered User

Jan 19, 2011
    North East England
    Have you tried an antihistamine? Might be worth a go.