Itching

Sarah2610

Aug 15, 2020
I am a carer for my 94yr old mother along with a full time job. Luckliy mum is fsirly
Compliant with most things and we have carers coming in. But the hardest thing to deal with is her itchy back!

she is constantly calling/asking for it to be scratched and it is driving us both to tears. I have tried antihistamines, various creams both from the GP and over the counter, cooling gels, calamine lotion and nothing works! She can be distracted with puddings or chocolate but it is very short lived.

Does anyone else have this problem to deal with? Any ideas?

thanks

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Sarah2610.

I’m sorry to hear about your mum’s discomfort. I’m afraid I have no brilliant suggestions. I just wanted to say ‘hi and welcome’.

I’m glad you’ve found the forum and know you will get lots of help and support here.

Lemondrizzle

Aug 26, 2018
I have an itchy patch on my back which is actually nerve irritation. It drives me mad and scratching it doesn't help much. I wonder whether your mum has something like this.

Leopard

Jul 20, 2020
Dont know if this will be helpful but it was for my mam. She scratched that much she broke the skin until I got her vests to wear under her tops. The itching on her back has stopped but now her legs are a mess. Worth a try if she doesn't already wear one

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
I am a carer for my 94yr old mother along with a full time job. Luckliy mum is fsirly
Compliant with most things and we have carers coming in. But the hardest thing to deal with is her itchy back!

she is constantly calling/asking for it to be scratched and it is driving us both to tears. I have tried antihistamines, various creams both from the GP and over the counter, cooling gels, calamine lotion and nothing works! She can be distracted with puddings or chocolate but it is very short lived.

Does anyone else have this problem to deal with? Any ideas?

thanks
Hi.Has she been tested to see if her kidneys are ok! My dad itches a lot and is no longer a diabetic.But he has CKD which causes him to itch. It may not be but wouldn’t hurt maybe to get a blood test.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019

The above link contains some alternative ideas.

My dad had the most terrible itching which was a side effect of medication he had no choice but to take.
You so have my sympathy, it is difficult to communicate how horrible this condition is.
Every lotion and potion the GP could provide didn’t work for him.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Sarah2610 and welcome from me too.

A few years ago my wife had my heart broken with her scratching herself until she bled. Her back, buttocks and thighs were the worst areas but even her arms and face were scratched at times.

I worked with the GP as I felt that anxiety was somewhat to blame and the GP felt that an itch cycle was set in motion once a scab was formed and began to itch. We threw everything we could think of at the problem - adjusted meds for anxiety, antihistamines and an antibiotic steroid cream for healing as I was afraid of infection because of the position of some of the cuts. I made my own dressings with Fixomull stretch fabric adhesive as they were so thin they weren't pulled off and made her cut her nails very short and wear cotton gloves in bed. Beyond that, keeping an eye like a hawk on her was essential. It seemed to go on for 1-2 years but we did crack it in the end.

I wish you luck.

Sarah2610

Aug 15, 2020
I have an itchy patch on my back which is actually nerve irritation. It drives me mad and scratching it doesn't help much. I wonder whether your mum has something like this.
Thank for your reply. Yes I have wondered this and I have recently written to the GP about it.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa