It appears LPA is no longer enough to satisfy the Land Registry...

jen54

May 20, 2014
Hi jen54
That's very worrying - and it could affect a lot of sales. Do let us know how you get on.
Home supplied me with copy of dnr with my mum's Dr's signature, it states she has dementia, also the care assessment from the homes records, again mentions mum's dementia and will do a letter if these aren't enough.. They are official documents
I have been told it's not my issue as hiuse completed in August.. Nit sure why yrs taken so long to be co tacted about it, perhaps desperation, and my solicitor is just helping out the buyer's solicitor..she isn't obligated But if I don't supply these docs required how does the buyer register the house..
The solicitor said she has been arguing the lpa rights for over a week with the land registry to no avail. In her opinion lpa is legal and land registry are going above the court of protection.she can fibd nothing in law that has changed.
It seems madness to change the rule without warning.. There was only about two weeks between land registry accepting lpa.. And then not..
Seeing people are selling via poa more and more due to dementia it is going to be a pain.

Elle3

Jun 30, 2016
Hi, I’ve just been reading this with some interest as I quite recently (Nov) just completed on the sale of my dad’s house using an LPA. My dad has been in a care home since April and hasn’t had mental capacity for a couple of years.

There was no issues with regards using the LPA, but after reading this I’m beginning to question if I might be facing something similar in a few months time.

I have just been searching for info about using LPA’s with the Land Registry and I found this. Thought you might like to read it.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...uide-9-powers-of-attorney-and-registered-land

jen54

May 20, 2014
Interesting, my lpa has been registered for five years, and I have had no issues with banks etc, ie I have opened isa etc from the house fubds and regularly transfer funds for fees of Carehome..
I would have imagined the sicitirs would have insured lpa hadn't been revoked, I always supposed it could be Checked where it was registered, otherwise revoked lpas could be used willy nilly.
I haven't heard from my solicitor since I provided the documents with dementia on, she stipulated that the term dementia had to be on any thing provided, but not once did she say land registry wanted to make sure lpa hadn't been revoked. And the document she showed me from land registry didn't seem to make it clear why the documents were needed, she said she had been arvui g about it with them... But never once said they had explained it was to ensure lpa wasn't a revoked one..

Dirtycash

Sep 5, 2021
I’ve only just sold my husband’s house, using a registered LPA, and I had no problem at all. It was our solicitor who needed to be satisfied...not land registry. I, too, wonder if the query has come from someone else.
Can you explain what the solicitor asked for as proof please?

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan