It’s Gabapentin Again!

NotTooLate

Jun 10, 2017
Alvechurch
toolate.blog
This is my first completed week following the continued reduction of Gabapentin.

Morning 100mg Afternoon 100mg Night 200mg

Coming off Gabapentin is causing me major problems. I’ve been on this for so long, my body not only accepts this as normal, but is doing everything it can to maintain the full dose! This is addiction and I think it is the same for any type of addiction that people are trapped in. However, the withdrawals, I believe, are very much dependant on the drug that is the route of the addiction. Not all drugs are equal. I came off Morphine and I thought this would be the worst it could be, but I was so wrong! It is obvious to me now, that it depends on what the drug is doing and how it interacts with your body and how the individual is able to cope with this.

I’m studying Gabapentin and will write a piece about it soon.

I’m having lots of physical affects, such as a continual headache on the left side of my head. It’s not severe, but is a constant deep, dull ache. My temperature is up one minute and down the next, I’m either putting another top on or taking it off. My heart seems quite erratic and can race a bit too much. My GTN seems to help with this. I feel very distant. What I mean by this is everything seems to be going on around me, as though I’m observing from some other place. This very much seems to go along with, what I call, my absences. This is where I shift from being here, in the moment and not; like shifting between being in a dream and being awake. My neurologist said these are caused by mini seizures, petit mals.

One of the main problems is my ghost, my hallucinations, what I see, hear and feel. It seems that I’m more aware. I do think not having Finn here, doesn’t help. You see, when I would become aware of something, that feeling of something walking over your grave thing, I would automatically look for Finn, who was always just there and if he was unaware, I would find myself almost switching off. Finn would confirm that what I was experiencing was not real and, while I continued to see, hear, or feel these things, I could accept them. I know this sounds strange, but this was normal for me. Now, without Finn, I’m finding I don’t have that check and my anxiety is increasing as I seem to experience them more and more. It feels as if they are getting out of control.

The other big problem is my seizures. If I have a major, grand mal, seizure, once a month, then that was about normal. Sometimes I could go longer than this without any at all, but I cannot remember when I was suffering more than this, till now! Over the last week, I have had two!

My Blog

NotTooLate

Jun 10, 2017
Alvechurch
toolate.blog
Hi @canary and thank you for your prompt reply!

As you rightly state, Gabapentin is used to control Epilepsy, but it is also used for the treatment of neuropathic pain and that is what I was prescribed it for.

I also take Pregabalin for the same reason.

For my epilepsy I take Lamotrigine 150mg 1 twice daily Morning and night and Levetiracetam 1.5g 1 twice daily Morning and night. This was add to help treat seizures predominantly from left temporal side of brain.
Add-on to Lamotrigine to help tonic clonic seizures. Grand Mal.

I am well aware of my seizures, or I should say, I’m aware after the event. Hope that makes sense?
The Gabapentin is having an affect on my epilepsy.

@Shedrech and @Cat27 Thank you for your reply and concern.

My doctor is aware of the ongoing reduction of my medication and supporting me in this. I also have my daughter and son that are in continuous contact and again are very aware of my situation and supporting me through this. My daughter is in contact with the doctor every week to keep a constant check on my progress and any problems.

I’ve had seizures for a long time now and they do not worry me at all, at the time, in fact they can be quite cathartic. It is like I am rebooted. Any stress, anxiety seems to go. I do have bumps and bruises, and have had a few broken fingers and wrist, but at the time, I feel nothing. I just sleep and then back to start again.

I have had a theory that this does have an impact on my memory. On occasions, after an event, I have been confused and unable to think clearly. Apparently my speech has been all over the place. This seems to clear quickly, but interesting all the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CaronL