Issues With Care Plans

Andyp101

Dec 5, 2017
Hello everyone,

Long time since I last posted. My mum had dementia and was a resident of a care home for a year. To put it mildly, I had some issues with her care - soiled sheets, underwear, left alone, unwitnessed falls.

I requested her care records. I have found some discrepancies and would like feedback from far more knowledgeable people than I.

What are the ethics/legality of care home asking my sister to sign care plans (who lives in Italy and visited only a week a year) because she would blindly agree where I wouldn't? I was primary care giver but because I had complained I never saw another care plan or risk assessment again.

Does a care plan have to be signed by family member? I have found an extensive care plan dated six months before she died that has a space for family signatures but of course no signatures.

Should social services not be picking up issues with mums care plans/checking on the back of my many complaints?

Thank you so much.

DesperateofDevon

Jul 7, 2019
I’m so sorry for your loss, & the distress you feel. While Dad was alive I raised concerns with social services who were funding Dads care home.
That led to a safeguarding investigation.
Now that’s been completed the safeguarding process has thrown up issues, & that’s being now being investigated.

I’m too emotional about it all but my OH is able to vocalise the relevant issues in a concise manner.

You can always contact the CQC with your concerns about the care plans.

I never saw a care plan in 12 months let alone reviewed one or signed anything.

You can also contact your MP & discuss the care issues you experienced.