Issue with care needs assessment

Bearz77

Jan 18, 2020
I'm wondering if anyone has had an issue with getting a care needs assessment from the council if the person is self-funding?
I requested one in July for my mum, followed up in August, then chased end of September Having seen some 'very sheltered accommodation' - they have requested this as part of the application for my mum (with Alzheimer's) and my dad (100% capacity, but limited mobility).
Last time I spoke to the council they advised we should have OH come out to check their house, put meals on wheels in place, and be looking for private care. We have done all of these things for their current house (in fact some things have been in place for 18 months), but the point is they want to downsize and be somewhere where they can maintain their independence, but with the added security of having help onsite (as recommended by Carer Support).
Social Services said they weren't sure what to do since they would be self-funding and they'd be back in touch. I'm still waiting. I guess I should be pressuring them since Mum has never had an assessment since her diagnosis June 2020 and I feel her care needs are being neglected due to her not wanting to have a bath, change clothes etc. Although Dad does his best, his limited mobility means he can't always make these things a priority.
Has anyone else been in this situation? Your advice would be welcome.

Scarlet Lady

Apr 6, 2021
To be honest, @Bearz77 , I wouldn’t expect a great deal of Social Services if it’s clear from the outset that you will be self funding. It’s sometimes easier to research care agencies and get assessments done by them. SS can be very helpful for OT (Occupational Therapy) if it’s required and are a useful resource as time goes on. But it sounds as if you would like to ‘downsize’ your parents into a home that will give them independence but with the added knowledge that help is there if required. There are lots of companies offering ‘assisted living’ apartments, etc., which might suit them at the present time. However, I would be cautious about your Mums situation going forward. She sounds as if she will need increasing amounts of help and living independently may not last.

Bearz77

Jan 18, 2020
To be honest, @Bearz77 , I wouldn’t expect a great deal of Social Services if it’s clear from the outset that you will be self funding. It’s sometimes easier to research care agencies and get assessments done by them. SS can be very helpful for OT (Occupational Therapy) if it’s required and are a useful resource as time goes on. But it sounds as if you would like to ‘downsize’ your parents into a home that will give them independence but with the added knowledge that help is there if required. There are lots of companies offering ‘assisted living’ apartments, etc., which might suit them at the present time. However, I would be cautious about your Mums situation going forward. She sounds as if she will need increasing amounts of help and living independently may not last.
Thank you @Scarlet Lady - I hadn't realised you could get one done privately. I'll have a look into that. I do think that Mum's stint in sheltered accommodation may be limited (or may not come to pass at all), but my dad is insistent on her being with him at the moment. We have, unfortunately, had lots of rows about it as in his mind a care home is not an option at this stage. So I'm looking at all options at the moment, which take time since I don't live nearby. Perhaps if I get this assessment done, he might realise what is in front of him. Many thanks for your thoughts.