Isn't it hard to be poorly?

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
Stating the b... obvious some of you might say. I am poorly with a chest infection according to doctor today and have tried to be in bed on and off over the weekend through necessity not desire. However Mick can't work the television remote control or make me a cup of tea so I was up and down the stairs.
It's the first time I've been poorly since he's been so dependant and it was hard to be patient when I felt so grotty. In honesty, I failed. Hopefully today's antibiotics will help me get better and life back to what we call normal.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Oh how I sympathise! During the last couple of years that John was alive, I dreaded any form of sickness, because I knew I would have to cope, whether I felt like it or not. I had my biggest sobbing session ever, when I was recovering from my foot operation this Spring, and the pain woke me one night.

I just cried and cried for John - the John as he was before AD - wishing he was there to cuddle me, make me a cuppa, get me some pain killers, and assure me that everything would be OK. And then I felt reassuring licks on my face and it was Billy, my dog, who was doing his very best to be a John-substitute.

What a pal! I hope you feel better soon. :)

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Oh poor you, it's bad enough feeling tired all the time without having infections or any other illness to deal with. Hope you feel better soon. Big hug. x

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Last edited:

Redpoppy

Jul 31, 2012
Glamorgan s.wales
Being ill ourselves as carers must be one of the most common fears we have,and the thought of maybe having to go into hospital and leave our partner alone or in the hands of somebody else is even more upsetting. We just can't afford to be ill I'm afraid---but this is when help should be made more available so that we can recover quicker.I hope you get better soon.Maybe a friend or relative could pop in for a while during the day to give you some support,and make you a comforting cup of tea.

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
Hope you're feeling better, Trisha. It is very hard to be ill and still have to carry on as usual with no one to help with the simplest things. I had a chest infection a few weeks ago and I found it very difficult to be patient, or cheery.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
I hope you feel much better soon.
It's so very hard Being a carer when all you want/need to do is disappear under the duvet for a while especially if their is no one who can or will step into your shoes even for a brief while.
Sending you a ((((((HUG))))))

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
Thank you everyone. I am feeling better in myself, still coughing violently and my breathing sounds like an orchestra warming up at times but there are gaps between the tiredness when I can do things. As always it's good to know you're there to listen.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I think that chest infection must be doing the rounds! I got an inhaler for the first time in my life last week. It hasn't made any difference to my cough. I'm now thinking it's not allergy, maybe infection.

Fed up.com!:(

Silver Lining

Nov 20, 2013
Thank you everyone. I am feeling better in myself, still coughing violently and my breathing sounds like an orchestra warming up at times but there are gaps between the tiredness when I can do things. As always it's good to know you're there to listen.

Sending you a virtual "cup of tea" SL:)

garnuft

Sep 7, 2012
It's worse when 'they' are.

Norovirus here, I'd rather it was me.

I never get a cold, a tummy bug, a uti...not a bloomin' thing.

I'm always fit for work. :/

One day I'll drop dead with a latex glove on me hand and a carrier bag full of soiled tissues.

If I'm fossilised, and they dig me up....I might be mistaken for the Queen on Maundy Thursday #historyinthemaking

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon

Glad you're feeling a bit better Trisha, sounds as though you're still far from well though. Just do the ABSOLUTE minimum I know that's still a lot, but cut as many corners as you can. Time to catch up later.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent
Stating the b... obvious some of you might say. I am poorly with a chest infection according to doctor today and have tried to be in bed on and off over the weekend through necessity not desire. However Mick can't work the television remote control or make me a cup of tea so I was up and down the stairs.
It's the first time I've been poorly since he's been so dependant and it was hard to be patient when I felt so grotty. In honesty, I failed. Hopefully today's antibiotics will help me get better and life back to what we call normal.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point[/QUOTEpoor you hope the antibiotics work fast for you it is my biggest dread being really ill. Because dad is totally dependant on me.... Carers should be made invincible lol
Best wishes for a speedy recovery

esmeralda

Nov 27, 2014
Devon
It's worse when 'they' are.

Norovirus here, I'd rather it was me.

I never get a cold, a tummy bug, a uti...not a bloomin' thing.

I'm always fit for work. :/

One day I'll drop dead with a latex glove on me hand and a carrier bag full of soiled tissues.

If I'm fossilised, and they dig me up....I might be mistaken for the Queen on Maundy Thursday #historyinthemaking

Made me chuckle in a grim sort of way garnuft - Norovirus - it must be an absolute nightmare. Hope things improve soon.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Hope everyone is feeling better soon. Been there with the gloves and bag of paper towel - and not forgetting the spray bottle of disinfectant for door handles, toilet flush handle, toilet seat, and anything else I could possibly have come in contact with! Mind you Garnuft - maybe we could teach hospitals a thing or two about infection control, eh?:D

I suffer regular migraines, and that was pretty grim when William was at home. Going to bed was out of the question, so I would lie on the couch, and he would keep me company in the armchair nearby - "helping" me, by patting my hand, waking me up to see if I wanted anything, waking me up to see if I was ok, etc. and God love him, regularly bursting into tears because I was ill. :(