Is yoga & meditation AD helpful?

CJG20

Mar 8, 2021
Hi everyone, I started practising meditation 30 years ago, a decade later I suffered brain damage resulting in cognitive & memory issues.
However I believe I recovered quicker & better because of meditation & Tetra style computer games.
A few years ago my mum started showing signs of AD, I tried to get her to meditate, do mindfulness exercises etc.
The rest of my family didn't encourage mum to meditate, I researched academic & medical journals & tried to relay this to my family, but to no avail. I am not great at "How to make friends & influencing people" :O)
Though I strongly believe in meditation as helpful to AD.
Therefore I thought it would be good if I could suggest meditation/yoga/mindfulness to help the number of people that are undoubtedly going to suffer in the future.
May you be well & happy

Last edited by a moderator:

CJG20

Mar 8, 2021
Here is a great mental exercise for everyone/anyone with or without AD

Kirtan Kriya for Stress, Comprehension, Memory​

CJG20

Mar 8, 2021

Repetitive negative thinking linked to dementia risk​

"Looking after your mental health is important, and it should be a major public health priority, as it's not only important for people's health and well-being in the short term, but it could also impact your eventual risk of dementia."

The researchers hope to find out if reducing RNT, possibly through mindfulness training or targeted talk therapy, could in turn reduce the risk of dementia. Dr Marchant and Dr Chételat and other European researchers are currently working on a large project to see if interventions such as meditation may help reduce dementia risk by supporting mental health in old age.

source: sciencedaily dot com

CJG20

Mar 8, 2021

Repetitive negative thinking linked to dementia risk​

"Looking after your mental health is important, and it should be a major public health priority, as it's not only important for people's health and well-being in the short term, but it could also impact your eventual risk of dementia."

The researchers hope to find out if reducing RNT, possibly through mindfulness training or targeted talk therapy, could in turn reduce the risk of dementia. Dr Marchant and Dr Chételat and other European researchers are currently working on a large project to see if interventions such as meditation may help reduce dementia risk by supporting mental health in old age.

source: sciencedaily dot com

Study suggests daily meditation slows brain aging​

by Bob Yirka , Medical Xpress

Soure: medicalxpress. com/news/

CJG20

Mar 8, 2021
Here is a great mental exercise for everyone/anyone with or without AD

Kirtan Kriya for Stress, Comprehension, Memory​

I found this tonight.

Stress, Meditation, and Alzheimer's Disease Prevention: Where The Evidence Stands​

Abstract​

Although meditation is believed to be over five thousand years old, scientific research on it is in its infancy. Mitigating the extensive negative biochemical effects of stress is a superficially discussed target of Alzheimer's disease (AD) prevention, yet may be critically important. This paper reviews lifestyle and stress as possible factors contributing to AD and meditation's effects on cognition and well-being for reduction of neurodegeneration and prevention of AD. This review highlights Kirtan Kriya (KK), an easy, cost effective meditation technique requiring only 12 minutes a day, which has been successfully employed to improve memory in studies of people with subjective cognitive decline, mild cognitive impairment, and highly stressed caregivers, all of whom are at increased risk for subsequent development of AD. KK has also been shown to improve sleep, decrease depression, reduce anxiety, down regulate inflammatory genes, upregulate immune system genes, improve insulin and glucose regulatory genes, and increase telomerase by 43%; the largest ever recorded. KK also improves psycho-spiritual well-being or spiritual fitness, important for maintenance of cognitive function and prevention of AD. KK is easy to learn and practice by aging individuals. It is the premise of this review that meditation in general, and KK specifically, along with other modalities such as dietary modification, physical exercise, mental stimulation, and socialization, may be beneficial as part of an AD prevention program.

Source: pubmed dot gov

Misedo

Mar 3, 2021
I know some people for whom such practices are really helpful but in my case I can't concentrate and relax at the same time. I have a new neighbor next to my property in Greece who is a teacher of meditation practices. So think I will take some lessons and will see how it goes.

DreamsAreReal

Oct 17, 2015
I know some people for whom such practices are really helpful but in my case I can't concentrate and relax at the same time. I have a new neighbor next to my property in Greece who is a teacher of meditation practices. So think I will take some lessons and will see how it goes.
I‘m the same! I was desperate to learn how to meditate, but just couldn’t do it. Then I found what they call Guided Meditation. It’s a recording that talks you through the whole process. There are quite a few available for free download as mp3 files. I found one that really worked for me and it was fab. It was from Dartmouth College in USA, called “Guided Meditation with Tree Frogs”, but there are lots to try. Worth a go.

CJG20

Mar 8, 2021
Hi Misedo, everyone's different, whatever you find helps you relax is good, while concentration comes in many forms, from painting to sport, I found Textra type games a good way to focus, but there's many other ways.
Juggling, keeping a ball up with tennis racket or table tennis bat. Hope you find something enjoyable for you.
Be well & happy

CJG20

Mar 8, 2021
I‘m the same! I was desperate to learn how to meditate, but just couldn’t do it. Then I found what they call Guided Meditation. It’s a recording that talks you through the whole process. There are quite a few available for free download as mp3 files. I found one that really worked for me and it was fab. It was from Dartmouth College in USA, called “Guided Meditation with Tree Frogs”, but there are lots to try. Worth a go.
Yes there's so many different forms & its finding whats best for you.

robertrichards4

Oct 4, 2021
I believe your meditation or the success of meditation depends on the intention that you set in the beginning of the class. It must be something that you`re trying to achieve, but just as a small goal.