Is this the start of the decline?

Linda G

Oct 23, 2017
Since my OH's pneumonia two weeks ago, i have noticed a decline in him. He is constantly tired and sleepy and appears to have lost interest in anything. Last night he went out into the kitchen and said shall I take my pill while I am here. I wrongly assumed he was referring to his Alzheimer's medication which he takes last thing at night. I was horrified to realise that he had not taken this pill but had taken the next day's diabetic medication. Although I have always filled his pill box, he has been aware of what medication he was taking.. This distressed me as I was unsure what effect this would have on him so ended up phoning the 111 service for advice. I was reassured that he should be ok but if he developed any problems to come back to them. He was fine through the night and seems to be totally unaware this morning of what happened last night. I have been tossing and turning half the night thinking is this it? Why have I been kidding myself that things would remain as they were. I read all about everyone else's experiences, why do I feel so shocked to see it happening to my OH. I will now spend the day reassessing all aspects in the home to ensure his safety.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It may be a downturn Linda but it also could be a side effect of the pneumonia and your husband may recover what he had eventually. Not much help I'm afraid, because it really is wait and see time.

However it would do no harm to check everything to ensure his safety.

I used to put my husband's diabetic medication at the back of the top of the cupboard so he wouldn't`t find it but he never took it voluntarily anyway so his problem was not taking enough rather than too much.