Is this the end??

Westlou87

Nov 1, 2015
Hi-
I am new to this site but really need some advice!
My lovely little Nan has got dementia and has for the past 7 years, she is very frail, over the past 6 months she has got worse each and every day, after numerous water infections, not eating and being more or less bed bound and sleeping most of the time the doctors said we would be lucky to get to the end of October.....somehow and we don't know how she is still here, she sadly has no quality of life - she is in a lovely little flat (sheltered accommodation) however she has a family member with her 24 hours, we all take it in turns to stay over/be there during the day, and wouldn't have it any other way.
This weekend in particular has been hard, after years of mumbled speech from nan she was talking clear as day but constantly asking if she had been a nice person and do people like her?
She hallucinates, sleeps sometimes maybe 20 hours a day, can not walk even when she has two people holding her, doesn't eat and very rarely has any form of liquid...she keeps saying she is ready to go and doesn't want to be here anymore....is this the final stages?
Does anyone have any similar situations and could you advise if this 'is it' or just another 'faze'
Any advice/stories will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance....

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
It certainly sounds like the end but who can say for sure. My only experience is of a BIL who stopped eating and drinking and was gone in two weeks - very peacefully I'm told. Just carry on being kind to the old lady and let her slip off when she's ready.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
I agree - this is such a difficult one to answer. Anecdotal evidence tells us that people often become very lucid and clear close to the end but there are no guarantees. Sounds as though you are doing a fantastic job keeping her safe and warm and comfortable and well loved so whenever the end comes she will have a safe and dignified death. Well done you and your family x Thinking of you xx keep posting x