Is this the end :(

PollyP.

Oct 8, 2009
Herefordshire UK
Hi everyone and Happy New Year,

My Mum (age 101 and late stage Alzheimers) had a fall a couple of weeks ago in her Care Home and has fractured her arm bone. 9 hours spent in A & E! But now, she is just wasting away rapidly. She is a skeleton now and is taking just a few sips of fluid or soup. I am amazed though at the strength she has in her hands. She grabs anyone who gets close enough and it is very difficult to get out of her clutch Where on earth does the strength come from.....

I know it would be a blessing if she died in her sleep, their is no quality of life anymore and at 101+ she has had a remarkable innings! Dad died 9 years ago but I never thought that she would last this long without him. I am clinging to the hope that she will be reunited with him shortly.

Thinking of you all on your journey with this hateful disease, and hoping that one day soon there will be a breakthrough for a cure.

I'll let you know when she leaves this world but want to thank you all now, for the strength I have received from others on this forum.

Pauline xx

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
Hugs PollyP.
It is remarkable hoe much that particular generation can endure and still keep coming through as we watch in awe and sometimes horror as it would seem 'kinder' for them to just quietly give up and go.

DollyBird16

Sep 5, 2017
Greater London
Hi everyone and Happy New Year,

My Mum (age 101 and late stage Alzheimers) had a fall a couple of weeks ago in her Care Home and has fractured her arm bone. 9 hours spent in A & E! But now, she is just wasting away rapidly. She is a skeleton now and is taking just a few sips of fluid or soup. I am amazed though at the strength she has in her hands. She grabs anyone who gets close enough and it is very difficult to get out of her clutch Where on earth does the strength come from.....

I know it would be a blessing if she died in her sleep, their is no quality of life anymore and at 101+ she has had a remarkable innings! Dad died 9 years ago but I never thought that she would last this long without him. I am clinging to the hope that she will be reunited with him shortly.

Thinking of you all on your journey with this hateful disease, and hoping that one day soon there will be a breakthrough for a cure.

I'll let you know when she leaves this world but want to thank you all now, for the strength I have received from others on this forum.

Pauline xx

Bless you and Mum. X

Marcelle123

Nov 9, 2015
Yorkshire
My mother died three weeks ago, aged 97 - pneumonia, followed by swallowing difficulties & very little food or drink. It was only in her final three days that she seemed to disengage with life...

So every sympathy in this heartrending situation, @PollyP.
Very best wishes - hoping for the best that can be. xx

PollyP.

Oct 8, 2009
Herefordshire UK
Thanks Lemonjuice, DollyBird, Carmar and Marcelle, so you kind words. They mean so much.

I visited Mum yesterday and waited for the Catholic Priest - he came to give the "Last Rights" to Mum as that is what she had requested earlier. He was very kind and held Mum's hand and prayed over her. I think she realised he was a Priest visiting and not a Doctor.

She isn't eating or drinking although they have a syringe for her drinks and are trying but it seems that she doesn't know what to do with the liquid in her mouth. She pulls my fingers close to her mouth and tries to bite them (thankfully, no teeth). I keep wondering if she is hungry, and she doesn't talk now, although she did say "yes" to the Priest's visit.

It was 20 December when she fractured her arm, and she hasn't eaten much at all since then.!

Pauline
xx

Scouts girl

Jan 18, 2017
I so sympathise with what you are going through PollyP. It is heartbreaking to see our loved ones suffer and slip away before our eyes. My dear mum passed away at the end of November after a few weeks of not eating and drinking. I know she is at peace now and free from her struggle with this awful illness but I would give anything to have her back again even just for a day to see her lovely face and smile before she succumbed to this vile illness. Keep strong and our thoughts are with you at this sad time. Xxx

PollyP.

Oct 8, 2009
Herefordshire UK
I so sympathise with what you are going through PollyP. It is heartbreaking to see our loved ones suffer and slip away before our eyes. My dear mum passed away at the end of November after a few weeks of not eating and drinking. I know she is at peace now and free from her struggle with this awful illness but I would give anything to have her back again even just for a day to see her lovely face and smile before she succumbed to this vile illness. Keep strong and our thoughts are with you at this sad time. Xxx

Thanks so much for your kind words. I'm sorry that you too have lost your dear Mum.

I'm just going in to the Home now, but don't expect any miracle to happen. But then I am a lot "luckier" than some who have many years ahead trying to cope with this dreadful disease. We just want them to be at peace again, don't we.
Pauline
xx

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
Oh Pauline I’m praying for your mum. Hopefully she will be at peace with the priest’s visit & that it helps her in any way possible. Xx

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Hoping that you have found your mum comfortable this afternoon..
I too arranged last rites for dad a couple of days before he died from a wonderful locum American priest ... big chap big smile who swept into dads nursing home room and gave me an enormous hug. I didn't manage to organise last rites for my mum or twin brother as their deaths were sudden but relieved to have carried out dad's wishes. You and me have done our Catholic daughter duties!

Thinking of you...horrible time

PollyP.

Oct 8, 2009
Herefordshire UK
Thank you Kikii, crazyone and love.dad, for your kind words.

Just want to let all know, that my dear little Mum passed away peacefully at her lovely care home on Saturday morning - she had enjoyed a very happy life and at 101 the time was right, I certainly hope that she is now with Dad who died 9 years ago now, she was never the same without him and of course that's when the dementia showed up. She is at peace now.

Just need to sort out the arrangements etc.

Wishing you all the strength you will need in your journey with your loved ones.

Pauline xx

Scouts girl

Jan 18, 2017
So sorry to hear that you have lost your dear mum but will find the comfort in knowing that she is with your dad and at peace. There is so much to do and myself and my brother went into overdrive to sort out all the arrangements etc., as mum died at the end of a November and wanted to get things in order before Christmas. Take time to grieve your loss and I wish you strength at this sad time. You are not alone and sending lots of hugs to you. Take care xxx

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
Thinking of you as you sort out the final arrangements for your much loved mum. Remember though that she also was blessed to have a wonderful daughter who cared deeply for her right up to the very end of life and further

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
Thank you Kikii, crazyone and love.dad, for your kind words.

Just want to let all know, that my dear little Mum passed away peacefully at her lovely care home on Saturday morning - she had enjoyed a very happy life and at 101 the time was right, I certainly hope that she is now with Dad who died 9 years ago now, she was never the same without him and of course that's when the dementia showed up. She is at peace now.

Just need to sort out the arrangements etc.

Wishing you all the strength you will need in your journey with your loved ones.

Pauline xx

God bless you Pauline & sad condolences to you & your family as regards your mum.
You did all you could do for her & rest assured that she will be united with your dad now. Big hugs xx

PollyP.

Oct 8, 2009
Herefordshire UK
Thank you all for your kind messages. It's so encouraging to read them.

My last thoughts about my Mum - as Mum hadn't been taking in enough fluids and as I wanted to avoid her having to have a drip, I bought some small individual tubs of Hagen Das ice cream. Up until then she wasn't keen on taking any food or drinks, but when I tentatively gave her a first teaspoon of the ice cream, she loved it and went on to finish the tub (apart from two spoonfuls.) It was just great to see her really enjoying the ice cream, and it's something I will always remember!

She was a really wonderful Mum and I consider myself very lucky to have had two loving and caring parents.

Pauline
xx