Is this the end stage?

Dimelza

May 28, 2013
Thank you xx
GP went yesterday. Only transferred his lansoprazole to liquid format and didn't up his pain relief as he couldn't see evidence of pain?! He opens his mouth to cry out when you end move his bed up to give him a drink I'm going to call today because the carer he saw dad with isn't usually on the unit and doesn't seem as forceful as the regulars.
Dad ate an entire meal (mush) on Monday but barely anything yesterday as swallowing worse. So strange, no idea if it's normal.

Gigglemore

Oct 18, 2013
British Isles
Hi Dimelza - the GP was probably not given the info that the family (who know your dad best) are sure that he is experiencing pain. I'm relieved for your dad's sake that are going to sort it out and insist that he does get better pain relief. Did you manage to get in touch with the palliative care team?

Another thing perhaps to check with the home is whether he is actually getting the pain relief that is prescribed. Once people have swallowing problems, some staff can be better than others at actually getting even liquid meds safely into the patient.

Hope your dad looks peaceful and comfortable next time you visit.

Dimelza

May 28, 2013
Hi again. I phoned but didn't get to speak to the gp. However I voiced my concerns and fortunately so did the DNs who assessed him for airflow mattress and tonight he has Tramadol drops ☺️☺️☺️ GP calling me tomorrow so I'll discuss the rest then. So pleased. No more pain dad

Dimelza

May 28, 2013
Thank you. It's the least I can do ☺️

Today dads on his airflow mattress and has been registered as needing nursing care - fast tracked through some sort of financing through the nhs today and approved for total funding?! Amazing?! No idea what it is!
He's so much comfier on the mattress But they're having trouble getting the Tramadol drops.

They've stopped his clopidigrel now as i pointed out that it's not prolonging his life or adding anything to it.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
So glad your dad is comfier.
Those DNs must have been working hard for your dad and you in the background = funding as well - I know it's not going to alter your dad's health, but it gives you some peace of mind, and that's all to the good
and I'm sure they'll be doing their best to sort out the drops too

same again; hope you have a good night's rest

Dimelza

May 28, 2013
Thank you shedrech.
Had a lovely visit today. I played some of dads favourite music and received the biggest smile! I usually sing along (!!) and just couldn't stop crying instead. He seemed so so happy and relaxed in his own way. Very emotional.

Dimelza

May 28, 2013
Not sure what to do. Dads not taken anything but fluids really for a couple of days, just 2-3 spoons of yoghurt yesterday. He keeps stopping breathing for 30-40 seconds then starting again. I've been here 3 hrs now but I'm scared to leave in case this is the end.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Thinking of you Dimelza at this really difficult time.
Can you speak to someone senior to get some support and advice?
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dimelza

May 28, 2013
Thank you fizzie. I did that and left an hour ago. They're putting him in half hourly obs and calling me if any change xx

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi Dimelza
I hope you are resting right now after such a day
and that both you and your dad have a good night

Chaucer 1931

Mar 30, 2014
Thinking of you and your dear dad,hope you manage to rest a little,but he is being greatly cared for and that will give you some peace of mind in the time that he's still here..
Sending you much strength,xxx

Wendy C

Jan 29, 2012
West Midlands
End stage.

Hi. My Mom is in the late stages of alzheimers. She no longer walks, talks. Is fed pureed food, her drinks are thickened as she can't swallow. Goes into a very deep sleep, where she can't be woken. Is losing weight as not eating well. When she goes to bed she now sleeps in the foetal position which apparently is normal at this late stage. How will I know when she is at the end stage? I can't think that it can get any worse. Any advice would be appreciated please. Its like a waiting game. :confused: