Is this the beginning of the end?

Emsy

Feb 3, 2013
I really fear we are losing my darling dad but it all seems so quick!
7 weeks ago he moved into a lovely care home where he was finally getting help with his personal care and was eating 3 good meals a day as well as better pain control for his osteoporosis.
He seemed to be settling well, and apart from no short term memory & a moderate level of confusion (Alzheimer's) he was coping ok.
What a different story in such a short space of time - he is terribly confused & depressed now, has refused to eat for over 2 weeks & is literally wasting away.
The care home & family have tried everything to encourage him to eat but to no avail. He just angrily refuses to even try.
He is currently bring treated for a UTI but after 5 days on anti b's still refuses to eat even a mouthful. It's like he's starving himself to death & it's heartbreaking to see how emaciated he is.
5 weeks ago we were sitting in the care home garden drinking Pimms & lemonade & reminiscing about his childhood.
Can this change really come this quickly???
I really don't think he will last for much longer.

Love to all caring

Em

copsham

Oct 11, 2012
Oxfordshire
Oh Emsy,
It is so hard, the ups and downs and the unpredictability. 18 months ago my mother in hospital, was on what I called Hunger Strike, lost 2 stones and I thought was on her last legs. However following a move from hospital, to home and then to nursing home she started to "pick up"

It is so horrible to see someone wasting away, particularly a precious relative.

all I can do is wish you some good fortune XXX

gillybean

Jan 17, 2007
I can relate to this, if someone had told me what was in store for my Mum 4 weeks ago I wouldn't have believed it. Strange how some go for months years in a slow decline and others go so fast with stops and starts, everyone is so different and there's no reason sometimes. It's so hard isn't it, heartbreaking to see them literally waste away before you despite your best efforts, I hope he picks up soon, it could be the UTI that's knocked him off course a bit.

Thinking of you x

Emsy

Feb 3, 2013
Thanks folks, I will try to stay positive & hope that he can turn himself around x

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
I can sympathise....my Mum went like that, in fact I was just remembering that this time last year she was on her way out, she's still on her way, but she's sadly a lot closer now!:(

Have a word with his GP, The UTI might need more specific abs, but Dad may also need something like Citolopram or Prozac...something to enhance his mood....again they helped my Mum, and it won't hurt to ask.
Good Luck.

CJW

Sep 22, 2013
Are you sure he is being given the right antibiotics? Perhaps ask the GP to try a different one or combination. Hoping it is just the infection and he picks up soon. I know how worrying it is to watch them decline. It is so frustrating trying to understand what is happening and why. I know that the most important thing is being there, making sure they know they are loved and I am sure you are doing a great job. Be brave...

Emsy

Feb 3, 2013
He has had stronger anti b's prescribed today so maybe he will pick up in another 48 hours. The doc is also arranging a reassessment with the mental health services team so I will ask them about anti depressants too.
I think the shock of seeing him change so quickly has made me fear the worse, but its such a roller coaster it could be a different story in a week I guess.
Thanks for all your replies, it helps to know others are having similar experiences although I wouldn't wish this experience on anybody xx