Is this sundowning

Anniebell

Jan 31, 2015
Spent all day yesterday with mum doing the usual cleaning washing etc did a bit of baking with her she used to bake all the time but we've had to take all the knobs off cooker now because she kept leaving it on sorted all the bags out that she had packed to go home !!! Mum was great yesterday had a really good day painted her nails before I left
I rang her about 6 30 "you ok mum " no I've packed all my bags and I'm going home your dads not in again he might as well leave he's never here ( dad died sept 2013 )
Rang her this morning bright as a button I've heard about this sun downing how long does it go on for ? We only got a diagnosis AD in dec

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Anniebell

How long does it go for? How long is a piece of string.

I don`t mean to make light of it, it`s a very worrying period, especially for those living alone and no one will be able to tell you how long it will last.

All you can do is try to distract your mother when she does seem to be sundowning. Tell her its too dark, too cold, to wait till tomorrow, anything which will distract her if you can.

angecmc

Dec 25, 2012
hertfordshire
Spent all day yesterday with mum doing the usual cleaning washing etc did a bit of baking with her she used to bake all the time but we've had to take all the knobs off cooker now because she kept leaving it on sorted all the bags out that she had packed to go home !!! Mum was great yesterday had a really good day painted her nails before I left
I rang her about 6 30 "you ok mum " no I've packed all my bags and I'm going home your dads not in again he might as well leave he's never here ( dad died sept 2013 )
Rang her this morning bright as a button I've heard about this sun downing how long does it go on for ? We only got a diagnosis AD in dec

Hi, sorry to hear about your Mum, yes it sounds like sundowning, my Mum used to do this from about 2pm onwards, sometimes it would also happen in the mornings, her sundowning started about 3 years ago, she was eventually put on respiridone and trazadone which helps a bit, because with the sundowning comes agitation and in Mums case aggression, everyone is different so it is hard to say how long this goes on for, with my Mum she still does it but not quite so badly, probably due to the medication, however, others do just go through a phase of it. I would say watch out for wandering now though, it was during spells of sundowning that my Mum would try to leave the house, usually trying to go home:( xx

Ange

Hair Twiddler

Aug 14, 2012
Middle England
Sadly Annie, Grannie G is spot on - I too can only say it's as long as a piece of string. My mum has been sundowning at about 5pm, lasting about 3 hours for over 2 years now. Other carers have mentioned this phase lasting months, others like me seeing years pass by.

Do not be disheartened. If nothing else (for now), just make sure that your mum's GP has your mum's authority to talk with you re. her health issues - this will make life a little easier if you feel in need of raising the issue of medication or CPN/OT support with them.
Best wishes.

Anniebell

Jan 31, 2015
Hi, sorry to hear about your Mum, yes it sounds like sundowning, my Mum used to do this from about 2pm onwards, sometimes it would also happen in the mornings, her sundowning started about 3 years ago, she was eventually put on respiridone and trazadone which helps a bit, because with the sundowning comes agitation and in Mums case aggression, everyone is different so it is hard to say how long this goes on for, with my Mum she still does it but not quite so badly, probably due to the medication, however, others do just go through a phase of it. I would say watch out for wandering now though, it was during spells of sundowning that my Mum would try to leave the house, usually trying to go home:( xx

Ange

Mums not been put on any Meds yet her docs on holiday and she only had the ECG a week ago I do try and change the subject she rang last week at 7 am when I started talking about something else she said she would phone my brother because he was her favourite and he would come and collect her (btw brother does nothing apart from pop in he live 5 min drive away I live 10 miles away) we have had a door sensor put in but they will only alert us that she has gone out they'd won't send anyone round I'm trying to cover all bases she has carers 4 x day but it still doesn't stop me worrying
about her at least with this forum I now know I'm not alone x

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Mums 'sundowning' can go from extreme agitation to very mild, It doesn't seem to be a daily thing now, but it can happen at anytime of day. Good advise to get your mother's written permission to talk to her gp, in the long run it will make things easier for you.