Hello from Oz

LynneAus

Jul 29, 2021
Hello from Oz, I’m so pleased to have found this forum.
my parents live in South Africa. Anyway long Story short, my parents have both had COVID. Dad was in hospital for 4 weeks and mom only needed a couple of days in hospital. Mom has been sleeping, mumbling, and in bed. She was rushed back into hospital after being suddenly very aggressive and violent. During this stint a neurologist performed a lumbar puncture and various tests, all clear except for a uti. An MRI was performed which showed general brain atrophy. She was moved to a clinic and we were expecting to start an end of life care package.
my dad is now stronger and has been to see her and overnight there’s been a radical change. She’s now sitting up, opening her eyes, sipping water, eating some soft spoonfuls of food, recognising my dad and sister and managing to speak. She has been given no meds except antibiotics.
We‘re all baffled at the change!
I understand it could just be a lucid moment or being near my dad agin, they’ve been married 62 years and very very close.
Two days ago we agreed to an end of life plan and now shes saying she wants to go home And saying she wants to get up and walk and is thirsty and hungry. What a roller coaster!

mickeyplum

Feb 22, 2018
Hello from Oz, I’m so pleased to have found this forum.
my parents live in South Africa. Anyway long Story short, my parents have both had COVID. Dad was in hospital for 4 weeks and mom only needed a couple of days in hospital. Mom has been sleeping, mumbling, and in bed. She was rushed back into hospital after being suddenly very aggressive and violent. During this stint a neurologist performed a lumbar puncture and various tests, all clear except for a uti. An MRI was performed which showed general brain atrophy. She was moved to a clinic and we were expecting to start an end of life care package.
my dad is now stronger and has been to see her and overnight there’s been a radical change. She’s now sitting up, opening her eyes, sipping water, eating some soft spoonfuls of food, recognising my dad and sister and managing to speak. She has been given no meds except antibiotics.
We‘re all baffled at the change!
I understand it could just be a lucid moment or being near my dad agin, they’ve been married 62 years and very very close.
Two days ago we agreed to an end of life plan and now shes saying she wants to go home And saying she wants to get up and walk and is thirsty and hungry. What a roller coaster!
Sorry Lynne, can't think of any advice but just want to say how hard it must be for you to be so far from your parents and so concerned about your mum. It sounds like she is getting good care from the experts dealing with her so all you cando is put your trust in them for now. Good luck.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzieMK27