Is this dementia?

Lemondrizzle

Aug 26, 2018
I am sorry to hear about your mum @Evie5831 but also rather stunned that your mum has had a diagnosis of Alzheimer's while in hospital. My aunt was in and out of hospital from October 2020 and (long story short) they flatly refused to assess her mental capacity, dealing only with the medical reasons with which she had been taken in. They finally discharged her to a nursing home for palliative care on Christmas Eve after previous failed discharges.

Evie5831

Nov 7, 2015
I am sorry to hear about your mum @Evie5831 but also rather stunned that your mum has had a diagnosis of Alzheimer's while in hospital. My aunt was in and out of hospital from October 2020 and (long story short) they flatly refused to assess her mental capacity, dealing only with the medical reasons with which she had been taken in. They finally discharged her to a nursing home for palliative care on Christmas Eve after previous failed discharges.
I have been told several times over the last two months that they wouldn’t assess my mum‘s cognition until she was physically better but today we got a phone call saying they had been assessing her for the last week on a daily basis and combined with scans etc they have given this diagnosis. I hope your aunt is comfortable

Chelle 101

Jan 20, 2021
I'm new to this site im just concerned about my mother she recently had covid about 5 weeks ago and since then her confusion and memory as been bad we as a family ave been doing everything as in giving her medication cooking her meals checking on her but we can't be there 24 hours a day and sometimes wen we go there she as no concept of time she wakes up every 2 to 3 hours ready to get up 4 the day sometimes dresses and us ready to walk out the door back home where she lived years ago its been so accelerated from just forgetting a birthday to wanting to go home to a place she once lived and not knowing where she is in a matter of weeks its scary..

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
My mother's story is very similar. Although no dementia diagnosis it is clear that she has deteriorated mentally, exacerbated hugely by severe dysarthria. The broken hip led to a spell in hospital, then a transfer for a long spell in a community ( rehab) hospital but very little progress was made and the only safe option was a care home. Sadly this seems to be a very common pattern.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Chelle 101 and welcome to Dementia Talking Point. This is a very friendly and supportive place.
Any accident or illness seems to progress dementia. I had some concerns about my mother by 2016 but they were greatly amplified after she caught a nasty virus that Easter. She did improve a little when she returned to full health, but her decline became more marked afterwards.
Does your mother have any help coming in at the moment? If she has funds you could arrange this without needing to go through social services. However if the main problem is her wanting to 'go home', specially in the middle of the night you might need to think about looking at a care home. This site is useful if considering that option Care Home UK.
I'm sure others will be along with their experiences and ideas soon. You might also want to start your own thread. Not only does that mean more people will see it and reply, I found having your own thread is useful as a sort of diary of what is happening as you try and get your head round the changes happening to your mother.

AliceBlue

Mar 11, 2021
I'm new to this site im just concerned about my mother she recently had covid about 5 weeks ago and since then her confusion and memory as been bad we as a family ave been doing everything as in giving her medication cooking her meals checking on her but we can't be there 24 hours a day and sometimes wen we go there she as no concept of time she wakes up every 2 to 3 hours ready to get up 4 the day sometimes dresses and us ready to walk out the door back home where she lived years ago its been so accelerated from just forgetting a birthday to wanting to go home to a place she once lived and not knowing where she is in a matter of weeks its scary..
This sounds so much like my mum. We were told she had ‘Covid delirium’ but she’s now been referred for a dementia diagnosis as she’s rapidly declined. I’m sure Covid triggered it all