Is this another downward step for Mum

rosiek

Feb 1, 2011
Norfolk
Hi all

Have been busy trying to get the essentials out of Mum's home before the house clearance people go in next week. Going through her papers etc, I have found that she has kept every bill/till receipt for about the last 5 years bless her.

On the last two visits to Mum in the CH she has looked really well, better than she has done for the last few months, we have had some laughs, mostly about her getting confused I know it sounds awful, but she is aware that she gets confused, and she tends to laugh about it, and we have a joke about her having one too many sherries (no she does not drink). I have had to ask her to sign some forms for the bank and also some cheques, which she was totally aware of, she even said how many more forms does she have to sign for the bank. However, on both visits she has had 'little accidents' (Mum's words), she is aware that she needs the loo, but cannot get there in time. I just hope that she is not becoming incontintent yet although I know it is all part of this dreaded curse. I know she has been taking water tablets due to her ankles swelling up, and I know the CH monitors her fluid intake, but 9 months ago she was at home looking after herself. How can things go downhill so quickly?

Sorry for the rant, but I am so worried about the speed of this illness in Mum's case.

grobertson62

Mar 7, 2011
Sheffield
Hi Rosiek
I wish I knew the answer to that one too, my dad is in the same boat tho it is 6 months since he was living at home with no problems, now he too is in a care home, but is confused all the time now

He now has accidents but it doesn't seem to distress him. he is more distressed when they have to clean him up

If you do find the answer to this one let me know!

At least I now I know he is well cared for in the home & I no longer have to worry if he is ok

GILL

Last edited:

harvey

Aug 10, 2007
Hi Rosiek
The same has just happened to MIL, she has been in the nursing home for about two weeks now, settled in nicely. She too has recently started to have 'accidents' and is in denial due to the embarrassment of it. We are just pleased that the nurses & carers in the nursing home are aware and handling it so as not to cause her any stress.
She too was looking after herself to a certain degree until a couple of months ago, since she had a fall things have gone downhill fast. She says she understands that she is in the home for her own safety and to make sure she is looked after properly. Last week she was determined to go home next week. I think she has come to realise that she could no longer cope without 24/7 care. Not sure if she will still think the same tomorrow or next week. We are happy that we managed to find a lovely home with lovely staff, instead of having to find somewhere in a panic and having to settle for second best.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi Rosiek

I do hope its not the start of incontinence
Hopefully it is to do with the diuretics causing
a more urgent need to go and mum not getting to
the loo in time
One thing that needs to be checked for is a UTI, so ask
staff to get a sample of mums urine tested

rosiek

Feb 1, 2011
Norfolk
Thanks for your replies. I know Mum is happy, she told me today she loves her room. The carers are more than brilliant with her. I suppose it is just that Mum is now a poor little old lady, rather than the Mum who was so independent and the Mum that would go shopping in town twice a week because she fancied buying something nice from a certain high street department store.

I am so grateful that Mum is cared for and safe, its just that the decline has been so quick that is the hardest to deal with.

Dottie

Sep 12, 2010
Hi Rosiek,

Your last reply there I could have written myself. The speed of my Mum's decline from an independent lady who loved to shop to a little old lady in a care home takes my breath away & more than anything makes me feel so sad. But she is happy so that has to be good although I wish I could turn the clock back & have just a little more 'mum, dottie' time with her before the dementia stepped in & turned our lives upside down.

Thinking of you, take care,

Love Dottie xx

rosiek

Feb 1, 2011
Norfolk
Hi Dottie

In the words of Joni Mitchell 'You don't know what you've got til its gone'

Best stop now before I start blubbing

Take care of yourself

Rosiek xxx

Jess26

Jan 5, 2011
Kent
with you on this one

Mum has not been very physically mobile for about 10yrs. But the mental decline has been so quick.

She showed memory problems Sept '10. Was seen by her GP in January, had CPN assesment in February. and saw the consultant at the memory clinic last week.

Consultant commented on the 'significant decline' since she saw CPN.

She has also had a few soiling accidents rather than urinary. Even though she uses a commode which is in the room she occupies.