Is this an aspect of spatial awareness?

Tricot

Jun 20, 2017
France
I am still having many symptoms of what could be dementia and still hoping there might be another cause. Something new started which I thought might be part of spatial awareness. But I put spatial awareness in the search box here and this doesn't seem to fit. Sometimes when I go to switch on a light, I place my hand on the right when the switch is on the left. Likewise, I go to get something out of a cupboard which I know to be on the right of the cupboard but I open the door on the left. Please tell me if you or someone you care for experiences this. It's a small thing but very worrying as it's so strange.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Please seek medical advice as soon as possible @Trycot. It`s not worth second guessing. Please post an update if you can.

Tricot

Jun 20, 2017
France
I sought medical advice several years ago and attended the memory clinic for 3 years, passing all their tests with flying colours, although they agreed my recall was slow. I am perturbed by what I described above and would be very grateful if anyone can shed light on it.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
@Tricot
I'm not sure whether a carer would easily identify this, as it's tricky to know whether someone else means to reach out in a particular direction

I do this on occasion ... mean to take one jar on a supermarket shelf then realise I've picked up the one next to it ... I tend to think it's just me not paying attention as we make these actions automatically after a quick glance ... and we notice the mistakes we make rather than the hundreds of times that day when this didn't happen .... also once we've noticed something 'odd' we can be on the lookout for it happening again, almost making it happen

if it is concerning you, speak with your GP or send them an email describing your worry and ask that they get back to you if there is a need to discuss further

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
With my wife lack of spatial awareness was related to perceived distance.

She could not distinguish between a step down or a step up, any change of surface or a line on the surface could also be a step up or down so she froze.

Yours seems to be some lateral confusion, as has been said, contact your GP and describe your problem.

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
I agree that you should consult your doctor if it is causing you worry. It may simply be a symptom of stress or lack of concentration, which can easily make us do this sort of thing. Best not to fret about it too much and see what your doctor has to say.

Tricot

Jun 20, 2017
France
Thank you for your replies. Nitram, what you describe is what I have understood as lack of spatial awareness. Unfortunately, I have a dreadful GP who considered her work done once she had referred me to the memory clinic. Would love to find a decent GP but there are so few GPs of any description in this area. I had to take what was available.

I have lived in this house for 14 years and can find the light switches with my eyes closed. (Joke!) Such a strange thing to happen. It baffles me.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
What you are describing is nothing to do with typical tests at a memory clinic.

You need to explain to the GP your exact problem.