is this a solution?

clio_7

Dec 28, 2012
north lanarkshire
Hi everyone

I havent posted on here for a while.. my 81 yr old father has Vasdem. He was diagnosed about a yr ago, he lives in sheltered housing, has carers 4 x day, a security alarm on doors, and me coming in after my work every day. Between the carers and me I've managed to keep him at home as this was his wishes and the the psych advised this be good for as long as its physically possible. The night carers gives him last meds at 8.30 pm and get him to bed for 9. Last night I was called to say he wasnt at home and did I have him with me, they got him wandering about outside confused saying he was on duty. HIs alarm 8s set at 8.30 as he lets the dog out to pee . He has no infections etc and wondered how I should approach this? I see in surrey the council have rolled out gps lanyards/watches/tags for dementia sufferers to extend their independence, safety, and peace of mind? I also looked up kickstart. Any thoughts on this and how i should approach this change

thanks

ITBookworm

Oct 26, 2011
Glasgow
Hi Clio,

FIL was in North Lanarkshire too. His social worker was able to offer home monitoring and also a gps tracker. From the old emails I have the services they offered were Just Checking and Buddi.

Unfortunately the tracker wouldn't have worked for him although we wished it would have (no one close to charge the tracker or to make sure it was in his coat when he went out). The home monitoring also looked good - hubby was able to set up something very similar by tinkering with the burglar alarm which didn't worry his dad so much so we didn't need to try it.

That was only a year ago so I would assume the services should still be available. I would speak your Dad's social worker and see if you can get them to set something up. Since there are carers involved it should be possible to get them to charge the tracker unit regularly and maybe put it in his normal outdoor coat.

Mamsgirl

Jun 2, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Hi Clio, any chance of securing the area he lets the dog out into? If not, would a pet flap in the door and a perimeter tag on the dog help? Failing that, attaching GPS to your Dad's keys and alerting police etc.? Good luck, he sounds very well cared for, Toni.

clio_7

Dec 28, 2012
north lanarkshire
Hi

Thanks for the advice . I will get onto his key worker and see how it goes.. his carers are amazing and im sure he'd wear it like a lanyard as he wore an alert one incase if falls .

Mamsgirl the pet flap at the backdoor might be a good iidea

its just tricky at this stage I feel all I do is nag him.. hoping for better days

will let youse know how it goes

thanks again

xxx

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jliesman