is this a sign

tuffydawn

Mar 30, 2015
hubby has received two letters from his bank recently and both times he has passed them to me saying i do not know what i am supposed to do (one was a new debit card and one just a offer of a new credit card) is this a sign things are getting worse ?

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Can you explain the letters to him so he understands them? How long can he hold a piece of information, now?

tuffydawn

Mar 30, 2015
Can you explain the letters to him so he understands them? How long can he hold a piece of information, now?

i explained calmly to him but he did not really take it in much just said so i havent got to do anything and then walked away he is perfectly fine doing his normal day to day routineas long as nothing throws him of his routine but anything new it seems he doesnt even try to understand it

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I would take it as progression of disease. Have you got an LPA in place? If not, I would try and get that done as soon as possible, for both financial and health.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Hi Tuftydawn. Sorry if I've missed this but has your OH actually been diagnosed yet? Did you manage to get him to see his GP? I'm sorry that things are difficult for you both at the moment.

Take care

Lyn T XX

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
i explained calmly to him but he did not really take it in much just said so i havent got to do anything and then walked away he is perfectly fine doing his normal day to day routineas long as nothing throws him of his routine but anything new it seems he doesnt even try to understand it

Sounds like he's reasonably unable to make choices, then. They call that a lack of capacity. You might want to take the legal option POA if you think it'll help you; which it will as the disease progresses.

Have a chat with C.A.B. or a social worker. Get some advise as to how to proceed with helping with, or possibly taking over money and other matters.

tuffydawn

Mar 30, 2015
Hi Tuftydawn. Sorry if I've missed this but has your OH actually been diagnosed yet? Did you manage to get him to see his GP? I'm sorry that things are difficult for you both at the moment.

Take care

Lyn T XX

hi not yet, did get him to see doctor re his hip which needs replacing but he has refused treatment so he told me I am trying to pluck up courage to go and talk to doctor about him myself but i know he will not go back to see her for a long time not sure why i feel so anxious about seeing doctor think it is in case they do not beleive me that some thingis very wrong

Last edited:

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Oh dear! I saw Pete's GP on my own. Pete was so bad they had to call the MHT out and he was sectioned! Perhaps ask the GP to invite your OH for a 'well man's check'?

You could be entitled to some benefits and at least you would be on the radar. Plus your GP could rule out anything physical that is happening (thyroid problems/vitamin deficiency etc)

Good luck

Lyn T

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi Tuffydawn.
It can be difficult if not impossible to get someone to go to the GP when they really need to. You do have my sympathy.
I have not reread your previous posts, so apologies if you have already done this.
It is a good idea to keep a diary on the things/problems you notice and get this to the GP.
Hopefully the GP will be more helpful in getting your Husband to go see him, possibly under the guise of a well man check.

What I really came here to say is, please seriously consider getting
LPA (lasting power of attorney) their are two types
One for Finance and Property
One for Health and Welfare
To be perfectly honest I believe it's best to have both.
You don't need to have a diagnosis of any illness.
The only requirements are , the donor must be willing and able to understand the powers they are granting to their chosen Attorney(s)
If you feel able you can do the forms yourself, other organisations will help with this, such as Age concern, the CAB.
Here is a link that you may find helpful
https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney/overview

Last edited:

tuffydawn

Mar 30, 2015
Hi Tuffydawn.
It can be difficult if not impossible to get someone to go to the GP when they really need to. You do have my sympathy.
I have not reread your previous posts, so apologies if you have already done this.
It is a good idea to keep a diary on the things/problems you notice and get this to the GP.
Hopefully the GP will be more helpful in getting your Husband to go see him, possibly under the guise of a well man check.

What I really came here to say is, please seriously consider getting
LPA (lasting power of attorney) their are two types
One for Finance and Property
One for Health and Welfare
To be perfectly honest I believe it's best to have both.
You don't need to have a diagnosis of any illness.
The only requirements are , the donor must be willing and able to understand the powers they are granting to their chosen Attorney(s)
If you feel able you can do the forms yourself, other organisations will help with this, such as Age concern, the CAB.
Here is a link that you may find helpful
https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney/overview

thank you for all your advise and being there i have to start getting things sorted at moment I JUST WANT THIS TO BE OVER !!!! some days are harder than other for no particular reason

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
thank you for all your advise and being there i have to start getting things sorted at moment I JUST WANT THIS TO BE OVER !!!! some days are harder than other for no particular reason

I wish this could be a real one

image.jpg

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
My OH knows he can't understand anything like bank statements now but is happy to leave everything to me. I have had LPA since before he was even diagnosed.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point