is this a sign of dementia

lily jean

Mar 8, 2008
My dad had a fall a few months ago, and my two brothers (and his GP I feared) thought it was an attention seeking thing. He is very down about being arthritic, and can be very needy. The same things happened today and I am wondering if this is the start of the problem. He seems confused and yet glad of the attention he got today. Has anyone else seen this - falls without any great harm. Lying on floor saying cant move legs...but happy to be in bed eating and drinking and being waited upon. His father had similar problem.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hello Lily Jean and welcome to Talking Point.

You might start by trying to find out more about the fall you have described.

A fall can be tripping because of a vision problem, ot because of having a minor stroke, or because of other reasons.

Nothing you have described would, to me [not an expert], be indicative of a case for or against his having dementia.

I think you need more information. What does his doctor think causes the falls and other things?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Lily Jean.

If your father is arthritic, I suspect he would find a fall very painful and would be unlikely to use it as an attention seeking tactic.

Perhaps the athritis is causing so much pain, or making him so stiff, he loses his balance.

Only a doctor can decide the cause and I wouldn`t be very happy to have him dismissed as an attention seeker by him. If he is very down about his arthritis, perhaps he might consider a course of anti-depressants.

But it`s certainly not for me to say. I would go back to the GP and ask for his condition to be investigated more thoroughly.

lily jean

Mar 8, 2008
thanks for this

Thanks. Sorry for lack of detail. It isnt a stroke. The hospital checked. Or a result of vision. When dad is down says can't use lelgs. can't' help himsefl up. I have just been reading on website about a condition where lack of oxygen/blood pressure associated with demential can cause fallls. He seems okay in himself, but helpless. And tonight very confused about basic thing - saying I have turned off TV when he hadn't and coudl hear he hadn't. I can see why people might think a symptom of neediness. He doesn't seem worried about what has happened, when he is usually a terriblel worrier. Just grateful for people helping him. But I think there is more to it. Anxious that if this is early signs he gets right treatment quicklly, but don''t want to suggest iti to my mother without knowing more.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I would just tell your mother you are really worried about him and he might be best having a full medical check up.