is this a little excessive or am I over reacting?

eastiesgir

Oct 9, 2011
Just had a notice through off my mums care home asking me to add a little more money to her account as the balance is now only £4.00.
Basically all we do is give in some money to her account and if she wants anything (toiletries or what-ever) they can provide it for her instead of her waiting for us to call round.
At the beginning of April I asked what she had left and told it was £33, the lady said she never really asks for anything and all she does is get her hair done every now and then. The last time she got it cut it was £6.50.
When we went last weekend she had had her hair done (a shampoo and set sort of thing) on the bill we got today she has been charged £25 for it:eek::eek::eek: For a start round our way pensioners are not charged anywhere near that amount for a shampoo and set (even with adding a cut on top!) and also mum would never ever pay £25 for a hair do!!
How can they justify asking a person (who clearly doesn't understand the value of money anymore and has little understanding of what is happening around her all the time) for £25???
I did sign a form to say she was allowed to have whatever she wanted, however I waas told at the time of signing that the price of a hair do is around £7 and never more than £10!
I am fuming here and trying to calm down before I call round tomorrow to see what they are playing at:mad:

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
That's far too much, it's more than at a hairdressers . I would complain especially as you were told it wouldn't be more than £10 .

Jeany x

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Hmmmm I would ask questions or two as to why the hairdresser cost so much more than you were quoted. Have they got a new hairdresser? Does seem a tad pricey.

eastiesgir

Oct 9, 2011
Thanks, at least I know I'm not the only person who thinks its too much.
I wouldn't mind mum doesn't even have that much hair:D

Dill

Feb 26, 2011
England
Hi eastiesgir
It sounds excessive for one hair do. So, either mum has been charged for several things on one bill - in which case it should be itemised, or this bill is for someone else by mistake, or they are pulling a fast one. Have they got a new hairdresser coming in?
You say that you were told a hair do would be no more than £7-10? Does that include a cut? Sorry lots of questions!
I would certainly go around tomorrow and ask them to explain it. Let us know how you get on.
When Dad was in a home we were told a haircut would be around a tenner.
Good luck
Dill

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
Hi eastiesgir
It sounds excessive for one hair do. So, either mum has been charged for several things on one bill - in which case it should be itemised, or this bill is for someone else by mistake, or they are pulling a fast one. Have they got a new hairdresser coming in?
You say that you were told a hair do would be no more than £7-10? Does that include a cut? Sorry lots of questions!
I would certainly go around tomorrow and ask them to explain it. Let us know how you get on.
Good luck
Dill
When my husband is in the day centre twice a week, they cut his hair when needed and charge £1.50 a bargain!!! as it saves me from doing it and he gets his beard trimmed as well :)

Last edited:

eastiesgir

Oct 9, 2011
Hi eastiesgir
Good luck
Dill
The one other time (february) mum had her hair done it cost £6.50 and it was a cut (think it was a dry cut) I was told that it didn't cost much to get their hair done around £7 to £10 (I took this to be maybe a cut and blow) I have looked online a various hair dressers and no one charges pensioners this much for a hair do.
My main concern is why are they allowing someone to charge a person with a limited understanding of things so much for a hair do.
I got an itemised bill from the home and all it has on the 26th April they wrote a cheque for £25 for a hairdresser.:eek::eek:
I think I may change my job:p:D

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
I have a copy of my mum's spending money sheet. She has a fortnightly shampoo and set costing £7. I guess the occasional one at £8 includes a cut

If it's of interest to anyone, the chiropodist charges £10.

Thinking about it, I had a shampoo and blow dry with straightening for my daughter's wedding a few weeks ago and that was only £18 in a smart salon.

Mun

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Sounds like your mum has paid for all the residents hair to be done !!
That's a lot of money to pay :eek:
Let us know how you get on.

Val x

eastiesgir

Oct 9, 2011
thanks to everyone who has replied. I'm going to call in today after work to see what is going one.........and to alter the form I signed so it can't happen again!!

eastiesgir

Oct 9, 2011
update

Went to the care home today and was informed that mum had had a perm:eek: My mum has never had a perm in her life!
I responded with "well she's not having another one at £25 a go" The manager said she would make a note of it and it wouldn't happen again. I said that mum must have been asked if she wanted one and as she answers yes to everything it really wasn't acceptable. The manager did try to say mum had asked for a perm but I told her straight that there is no way mum would have asked and I was very dissappointed that a vunerable adult was given a expensive hair style. Lets be honest that is more than her weekly allowance!
Anyway we shall see what happens next time, but I am going to put it in writing to be kept on file that mum can't have any more than a dry cut in future.

Nessa456

Nov 19, 2004
West Midlands
I arranged for my Dad to see a Chiropodist several weeks ago - one that I book myself, at a cost of £20 per appt. My Dad only had £14 left in his 'pocket money' fund at the home and I felt too ill on the day of the appt to go up and ensure they had the £20 to give the Chiropodist. The Admin lady at the home said not to worry and that they'd still pay him so I thought that was very good of them - so my Dad's currently got a £6.00 tab with the home!

His haircuts cost around £5.00 I think.

The hairdresser sounds like she is taking advantage - she might be a friend of someone who owns or works in the home so sees it as some kind of perk to be able to charge over the odds. I'd speak to her directly about it so she knows exactly how you feel about it and so she's got no excuse for doing it again.

Dill

Feb 26, 2011
England
Hi eastiesgir
I think the answer you got is unaccepable. They could have asked you first, and if they couldn't get hold of you, it wasn't urgent so it should not have been done. Surely they know that to ask someone suffering from dementia is not an option. And especially if your Mum has not had a perm before.
I would be speaking strongly to the manager about it, and asking if the hairdresser knows anything about dementia.
Why is it that you have to check up on everything nowadays!
All the best.
Dill

eastiesgir

Oct 9, 2011
I totally agree Dill. My husband is going in today to drop a letter off to leave on file about how upset I am about it and how I think the home and hairdresser have not taken into consideration that a person with alzheimers is not really capable to making decisions. There is no way the hairdresser would have done it if mum hadn't had the money on account, and if she had I would have refused to pay for it! I do feel they have taken advantage of the situation and have put it down in writing (as well as telling the manager) just to make it a little more formal.